Chapter 2

Thorin glowered at the goblin king fearsomely. The other dwarves gathered behind him, nervously eyeing the goblins that were flooding into the throne room.

“I am Thorin Oakenshield,” began Thorin, but the goblin king cut him off unceremoniously.

“YOU are a DWARF!” He laughed mockingly. “That is all the matters. You shall die!” Thorin’s glare never wavered, despite the threat.

"Uh... Thorin?" whispered Kili. Thorin, not turning, gruffly replied,

"What?"

"Um... where's Bilbo?" Here Thorin turned to him, frowning,

"What do you mean, where's Bilbo?" Kili galnced at his brother, Fili nervously,

"Well... he was with us in the cave... and now he's not..." A quick glance at his companions confirmed the truth of this and Thorin growled in frusteration.

However, before he could retort, there was a battle cry. All goblins and dwarves alike turned to see the oddest thing. Running towards them like a maniac was a short, hooded figure.

Laughing, she began throwing things, that, upon contact with the ground (or goblins in some cases) exploded into a plume of smoke. Within seconds the entire thrown room was completely fogged up.

Thorin looked around, tensed and prepared for battle when suddenly a dark figure loomed in the mist.

He brandished his axe with and cry raising it to kill the stranger, but the figure somehow slide their arm along the smooth side of the blade and angling it away. Thorin and Balin looked at the person in shock.

"Point your blades at the enemy Thorin..." The voice was decidedly feminine and as she got closer, Thorin saw he was correct in the assupmtion.

"How do you know my name?" he questioned stubornly and much to his annoyance, she rolled her eyes.

"You did just announce yourself in the entire throne room, it was hard to miss..." He couldn't think of a reply fast enough so she went on, "Anyway, I'm Avice, so if you'll just follow me..."

"Why should I?" he asked, still trying to hold onto some of his pride. She raised her eyebrows,

"First of all, how old are you? Secondly, stay here by all means, your company is not required or desired." With that she turned snagging Bifur and Bofur as she went and dragging them after her.

Thorin grunted, turning away, but Balin caught his shoulder, counseling,

"My lord, perhaps we should follow the lady...." Thorin gave him an incredulous look,

"You want me to follow that insufferable, condesending..." he seemed at a loss for words to describe Avice and Balin was looking at him in amuesment.

"You just met her my lord, I think it's a little soon to be passing judgements on the lady..." Thorin harumphed, but grudgingly followed Avice's retreating figure.

***

Runa was running around, still throwing smoke bombs. As she ran, she saw two rather attractive younger dwarves cornered by some unpleatsant looking goblins.

Thinking fast, she yelled, "Catch!" They turned in time to catch the smoke bombs she'd tossed them and threw them into the goblins faces. Highfiving, they laughed gratefully, running towards her.

"Thanks!" they exclaimed breathlessly, grinning identically.

"Anytime," she replied grinning as well. They slauted her jokingly, saying,

"I'm Fili!"

"And I'm Kili!" Runa saluted them back,

"The pleasure's all mine," she said. "Right this way gentlemen..." She turned and ran. The brothers exchanged a look, before tearing after her.

"Hey wait a minute," yelled Kili. "Who are you?"

"Runa!" she threw over her shoulder. The twins ran after her, into the smoke and she handed them each a few smoke bombs. They looked at them and then at her in confusion.

"What do we do with them?" Runa shrugged,

"I don't care." Highly mischievous looks appeared on their faces and she raised an eyebrow before turning and continuing to lead them through the fog.

******

[A/N: Sooooo... vote, read, message! Yup, the usual! You know the drill!]