Chapter 45

Runa’s stomach was aching like she she was being stabbed all over again. The makeshift wagon she was reluctantly riding in jostled over yet another bump and she bit her lip to repress the hiss of pain.

“Runa? We’re here.” Runa opened her eyes to see Silvia walking alongside the cart as it slowed. Forcing herself up, Runa turned to see the mountain looming quite close and much closer than the mountain, an abandoned city.

“It’s beautiful…” she said, eyeing the architecture appreciatively.

“It is… Either way, I believe this is where we will be halting.” Runa didn’t let it show, but the thought of getting off the uncomfortable cart filled her with relief.

“Where is Bard?”

“Up at the front with Alfrid.”

“Alfrid?” Runa wrinkled her nose. “He’s still hanging around here?” The corner of Silvia’s mouth twitched.

“Unfortunately yes. If you’re feeling well enough, I was going to suggest you come with me up to the front of the line to see what’s going on.”

“Of course,” Runa responded quickly, pushing herself forward to slide off the cart and land lightly next to Silvia. Her wounds throbbed as she hit the ground, but she kept her expression firmly under control.

“Where’s Legolas and Nienna?” Runa asked conversationally as she noticed that Silvia was watching her closely for the slightest sign of discomfort.

“I believe they were scouting ahead last I checked.” Runa nodded absently as they wove through the throng of slowly moving people.

Runa hissed abruptly and Silvia instantly looked at her anxiously, but Runa waved her concern off.

“Someone elbowed me by accident. It’s nothing.”

“All the same, we should check your wounds as soon as we can.”

“Yes, yes,” said Runa irritably. “But not now, we’re almost at the front.”

Moments later they approached Bard who was being shadowed by an eager looking Alfrid. Both girls repressed a shudder as the greasy man turned to look at them.

“Lady Runa! Lady Silvia!” he said as they approached. Silvia ignored him completely, simply walking up to Bard to ask was the plan was. Runa looked at the man with well concealed amusement before saying,

“That’s Your Majesty to you.”

He was quick to concur, but she had already moved on, joining Bard and Silvia.

“So? What are we doing?”

“I think it’s best if we have the townspeople set up camp in the city. They can shelter in houses and see if they can scrape together an evening meal,” said Bard thoughtfully.

Runa nodded,

“Sounds good.”

“I was thinking it might be a good idea if Nienna went with Bard tomorrow to find Thorin and the others,” said Silvia. Runa nodded again, her mouth twisting wryly,

“Yes, she’d be the best option, especially since I probably shouldn’t travel too much…”

“You must have reopened your wound,” sighed Silvia. Runa and Bard looked at her in surprise.

“What?” asked Runa. “Why would you think that?”

“Because unless you were stabbed again, I can’t think of anything else that would be giving you enough pain that you’d finally admit you need to bedrest.”

Runa chuckled at the truth in that statement. She hadn’t been the most patient invalid.

“Fair enough, but it’s more than that…” she trailed off, the humor dying away from her face and her years suddenly showing in the dimming light. “I can sense something coming. Just on the horizon. I fear I will yet need my strength in order to keep those I love alive in the coming days…”

Silvia and Bard were quiet for a moment. Then Runa grinned,

“Time to rally the troops sir?” Bard nodded, moving off to tell the townsfolk to settle down as they entered the city. Silvia quickly hustled Runa towards the city’s center where a huge building faced the town square.

“Where are we going?” questioned Runa.

“There,” Siliva nodded at the decrepit yet still magnificent building.

“Why?”

“That’s where Bard will be staying.”

“Seems a bit arrogant…” Silvia laughed lightly,

“I suppose it would seem that way. However, it also happens to be the highest point in the town…”

“...making it the best lookout position,” finished Runa as realization dawned. “Well let’s go make sure I’m not bleeding again, shall we?”

*    *    *

The dark caverns sparkled and twinkled, whispering of tales of gold and glory, cold and hard rulers, and fearsome battles. Avice wandered them, mask tucked into her satchel, leaving her exposed.

Vulnerable.

There was something tantalizing about these halls and Avice began to feel truly afraid.

Thorin had changed since the day they watched Lake Town burn. After witnessing Smaug’s death, they’d quickly moved into the halls of his ancestors.

Yet as hours passed and the initial enchantment wore off, they all began to feel something… ominous… something darker…

There was something haunting these halls. A disease. She could sense it -- in the corner of her eye, smell in the unexplained breezes, feel it whisper to her back as she roamed.

She hadn’t said anything to the others. They hadn’t said anything to her. However, they all knew it was there. The evidence of it’s rampant curse blatant in their leader and now, king.

Thorin was unceasing in his drive to find the Arkenstone. Avice didn’t know what it was, but she secretly prayed they’d never find it. Despite the optimism hesitantly held by most of the company, she doubted the stone would be the cure to Thorin’s madness.

It would only confirm it.

She tiredly turned and began retracing her steps to the throne room where the dwarves had set up camp. Just as she arrived, Nori came dashing in, looking excited about something.

“What is it?” demanded Thorin as Nori gulped a cup of water that Ori had been quick to hand him.

“The abandoned city!” gasped out Nori, finished the water off.

“What about it?”

“The men of Lake Town are there!”

“What?!” Thorin dashed out of the room, followed by everyone else, heading for the main gates.

Sure enough, once they arrived, they saw the lights of fires dotting the twilight before them.

“Runa and Nienna!” gasped out Aelith, instinctively starting for the town.

“No.”

Thorin’s voice made them all freeze.

“I beg your pardon?”

“We have work to do. They have come to take our property, we must protect our own.”

“What?” demanded Aelith angrily. “Runa and Nienna are our own! I want to go find them and make sure they’re--” she broke off angrily, unable to finish the terrible thought.

“They will come in the morning,” Balin assured her comfortingly. “I’m sure they’re all fine.” Aelith nodded and sat down heavily. Thorin began rattling off orders and the dwarves set about to work.

“What’s going to happen now?” asked Avice tiredly, sitting by Aelith.

“Now? Now we wait. And pray.”