Chapter 22

“I don’t think you know where you are going…” Avice muttered as Thorin staunchly continued to troop along the path.

“There haven’t been any forks or divergences. How could we be lost?” he snapped back.

“I have faith in your ability to manage even that,” Avice retorted, adopting the over the top tone of Thorin’s ‘biggest fan’.

“How dare you-”

“Oh look a squirrel!” interrupted Nora pointing into the dark trees. In a flash Fili had his axe and was licking his lips eagerly following Nora’s dramatic gaze.

“Where? I don’t see it…” he finally said, shoulders slumping slightly in defeat.

“I was just trying to break up the lover’s quarrel before it began,” Nora whispered, jabbing Fili’s side harshly. Whether this tactic would have worked or not will forever remain a mystery because Nora had never quite mastered the art of whispering…

And the entire company had heard her.

“We are not lovers!” exclaimed Thorin and Avice simultaneously before flushing red at the thought. Both were ignored, excepting some sniggering,  as Balin took the lead.

“We should sing a song…” commented Runa wistfully. The twins looked at her in confusion.

“Why?” asked Fili.

“Because music…”

“That’s not a reason,” Nienna muttered under her breath.

“I didn’t know hobbits were lovers of music,” Kili commented.

“I have a very good appreciation of music!” exclaimed Bilbo indignantly. Aelith calmed the offended hobbit down and the two moved to join Avice, Thorin and Balin at the head of the line.

Nora, reproducing her flute from earlier, disappeared into the crowd of dwarves, her passage only marked by the occasional poof of sparkles or bubbles.

“Well what would you like to sing?” asked Fili. Runa looked thoughtful for a moment before turning to Nienna.

“How about Hrissë?” suggested Nienna softly and a slow smile spread over Runa’s face. The twin dwarves looked at each other with curious expressions.

Then Nienna opened her mouth and began to sing a chant like melody. A moment later Runa joined her, on a soaring melody in elvish and the twins jaws dropped.

Nienna’s voice was beautiful, smooth and elegant. Exactly as an elf’s should be. Runa’s voice was a surprise. It was pure and clear, flying along a melody, dipping below Neinna to take the harmony for a moment, then back up again.

At the front of the train, Balin faltered for a moment.

“Who’s singing?” grouched Thorin. Avice smirked at him,

“Nienna and Runa…”

“Runa?” asked Balin curiously, looking sharply at Aelith who was determinedly not meeting his eye.

“Nienna taught her many elvish songs,” Avice said quickly. Balin looked at her for a long moment, but said nothing more.

“They will draw attention to us!” Thorin muttered angrily.

“Oh hush,” said Avice. “They’re fine.”

“It is true,” Balin added vaguely, still listening to the two girls in the back of the company sing. “Elvish songs do not attract evil… only light.” Thorin rolled his eyes, but didn’t say more.