Chapter 39

The morning dawned with a crispness that those of Lake Town seemed to thrive on. Most of the company, however, were a different matter…

Several glasses of ice cold water later, Nora had awoken the entire company, most of whom were currently heading out towards the town hall for the impending feast. Silvia took over from Nienna’s shift watching Runa so that the elven archer could get some shut eye.

Avice was polishing a double bladed battle axe she’d snagged from the armoury and kept glancing over at Runa from time to time. Silvia noted this and sat down next to the masked girl as the last of the dwarves (plus Aelith, Bilbo and Sarabelle) exited, leaving them alone.

“She’s going to be fine,” Silvia commented. Avice paused in her work to nod gruffly, but said nothing and the tension didn’t leave her shoulders. Silvia sighed, but dropped the issue, instead asking,

“Have you told Thorin yet? Judging by his normalcy, I’m guessing not…”

Avice glared at Silvia, but upon meeting the elf’s unmoved expression, she caved, her shoulders slumping slightly as she set her axe aside and rubbed her face tiredly.

“Of course I haven’t told him. You’ve seen him and you know how he’d react. Besides, I was talking to Balin the other night and Thorin… well… he doesn’t exactly have a great history with… orcs…”

“So?”

“So,” said Avice in frustration, “if I told him, he would be furious and probably never speak with me again!”

Silvia was quiet for a moment, collecting her thoughts.

“Avice… it is better to be honest now before you get anymore attached. It will be found out eventually and the longer you wait, the more it was hurt both of you.”

“You think I don’t know that!” Avice groaned, flopping onto her back to stare fiercely at the ceiling as though the wooden panels were conspiring against her. Silvia moved to check Runa’s temperature as she calmly replied,

“I think you’ve always known you’d have to tell him someday, but I think you needed the reminder.”

“Probably,” admitted Avice unwillingly. “But what am I supposed to say? Hey Thorin, by the way, I’m half orc, lovely weather we’re having.”

Silvia snorted (or came as close to a snort as an elf is capable) at the sarcasm lacing Avice’s words and even Avice cracked a smile.

Just then there was a clatter from the doorway and both girls jerked around to see Thorin in the doorway, frozen in shock, staring at Avice.

“Hey Thorin,” said Silvia slowly. “Um… how much did you hear?”

*    *    *

Legolas was crouched by the trail of footprints on the back of the lake, eyeing them critically.

Why had the group split up?

The largest group (the dwarves judging by the marks), had vanished from the dock, presumably having boarded a boat, but a smaller group, the girls, had gone off in a different direction.

At the thought of the girls, Nienna’s face flashed into his mind and his brows furrowed deeper. He could still hardly believe it. His intended… and he hadn’t even realized it!

Pushing back some escaped wisps of hair in frustration he straightened and began to follow the smaller groups tracks, his thoughts still stuck on the irritating elleth. As he pondered his rather pretty problem, he absently rubbed a fading bruise on his cheek and winced at the memory it brought to mind…