Chapter 46

Why Bard had ever imagined that putting Alfrid on watch would work was beyond Silvia. She was all about second chances, but you had to draw the line somewhere. And that line was miles away along with Alfrid’s honor.

She stormed into Bard’s bedroom just as he finished pulling on his shirt.

In any other circumstance, she would have blushed and apologized profusely, but she was tired and cranky this fine morning and in no mood to be trifled with.

Bard had turned when he heard the door open and took in her clearly irritated expression

“What’s wrong?” he asked, eyeing her cautiously. Her eyes flashed,

“You put that snivelling idiot on watch, that’s what’s wrong.”

Bard raised his eyebrows in a silent question, but Silvia simply shook her head,

“You better come see this.” With that, she turned and led the way out, not bothering to make sure Bard was following. To her annoyance, he easily caught up and matched her strides.

As they passed through the halls, they saw a sleepy looking Alfrid heading their way presumably to report.

“Alfrid?” asked Bard hopefully.

“All is well my lord. Nothing got past me--” Silvia had neither slowed nor glanced at Alfrid, merely brushing past him and Bard hurried to follow, Alfrid changing course to follow them in confusion.

As they reached the main doors, Silvia, pushed her way through them to enter the town square, ignoring Alfrid’s stream of questions and assurances he’d faithfully kept a strict watch all night long.

There, in the courtyard was an army.

Rows of elves, armed, their weapons and armour shining in the morning light, stood erect, awaiting command. Bard halted as did Alfrid and his slippery tongue.

There in the center of the troops, sitting on a giant elk was King Thranduil.

He nudged his elf forward and the troops split smoothly as he passed. Upon reaching them, the elf lowered itself slightly as Thranduil gracefully dismounted.

“King Thranduil,” acknowledged Bard, careful not to let his surprise show.

“Bard of Lake Town I believe,” said the elven king, inclining his head ever so slightly. then his gaze slid to Silvia and his eyes hardened.

“Lady Silvia…”

“My Lord,” she replied politely, keeping her annoyance in check with a Herculean effort.

“What brings you here?” asked Bard pleasantly, though his eyes were sharp and guarded as he led the way into the mansion of sorts. Thranduil looked at the human in amusement.

“I came to retrieve something of mine.”

“Yours?”

“Smaug is dead. The news of the dragon’s fall is spread on the winds like wild fire. The endless treasure, including some jewels that belonged to my grandfather, of Erebor is guarded by only a small group of delusional dwarves…” he trailed off and Bard nodded in understanding.

“We are here for similar reasons. Though it was against my advice, the dwarves truck a bargain with the men of Lake Town. Now our home is gone and we seek a new one.”

“How do you propose to achieve any of this?” asked Thranduil.

“I was about to head to the mountain now to speak with Thorin -- remind him of his promise.” At that, Thranduil laughed out loud.