Chapter 33

Runa knew she was probably enjoying this more than she should. After all, they were on a top secret escape mission and she was now risking their cover for what? Goodbyes with an elf who didn’t care about her except for her usefulness?

Yeah, maybe not her best idea. Still… her mischievous side was reveling in her ‘brilliance’ as she walked into the ballroom. Thanks to Silvia, she’d managed to find some shoes with heels, giving her the extra couple inches she needed to pass as a short elf.

A really short elf.

But that was beside the point. Looking around for His Royal High-In-The-Instep, Runa noticed she was getting some odd looks. In all fairness, they were probably warranted. She was an unknown elf with blazingly red curls that were currently semi-tamed with a gold circlet lent to her by Silvia.

Smoothing her dress and masking her emotions, she walked further in, calmly meandering about the crowd, while keeping a sharp eye out for Thranduil.

As she moved through the crowd of elves, she saw him out of the corner of her eye, lounging lazily on a throne that oversaw the ballroom. Runa smirked to herself, noting the tenseness visible in his shoulders even from this distance and the “bored” look that was actually deep in thought.

Apparently he’d noticed her disappearance. That would make this about one hundred and eleven percent more amusing.

She made sure to begin heading in his direction.

Suddenly, Thranduil sat up straight, rigid, focused and very aware of his surrounding.

Yup, he’d seen her.

Making her way to the refreshment table, she didn’t even glance at him, giving him the first move. As she delicately sipped at a drink, she felt a moment of concern. What if he didn’t approach? What if he simply called his guards and locked her up?

“What are you doing here?” The question came from behind and the familiar tone immediately put to rest her worries.

“Your Highness,” she said in mock surprise. “Fancy seeing you here-”

“Don’t play stupid,” Thranduil commanded as Runa turned to face him, an impish smile playing around her lips.

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” she murmured mischieviously. Thranduil raised an eyebrow.

“Why are you here?” he repeated.

“Isn’t this Mereth Nuin Giliath?”

“Yes…”

“Oh good,” Runa sighed.

“What does that have to do with anything?”

“Well obviously I’m here to celebrate.” Thranduil gave her a look that clearly says he isn’t buying it.

“Drink Your Majesticness?” Runa offered him a glass with an angelic smile. Thranduil accepting it skeptically, continued to eye the girl.

“You’re wearing white...” he stated abruptly. Runa looked down at her dress in feigned surprise.

“Really? Well would you look at that, so I am-”

“Runa, be quiet,” interrupted Thranduil, the corner of his mouth twitching. Runa fell silent, but grinned up at him.

“I meant it is interesting that you chose to wear white given that previously you’d asked me what my favorite color was…”

“And?”

“And I told you it was white. So the question stands: why are you wearing white?”

“Perhaps it was the only dress available to one of my stature,” Runa retorted cheerfully. Thranduil was taken aback for a moment, then frowned,