Chapter 48

Gandalf faced the man and the elf gravely. Things, it seemed, had fallen to pieces in his absence, though he had long suspected the impending war to be inevitable.

“If Aelith, Avice and Nora are with the company, where are Runa and Nienna?” he asked. The irritated look made its way back onto Thranduil’s face.

“Vanished. Legolas and Nienna were seen leaving the camp around noon apparently, not long after my arrival. Runa disappeared this afternoon, though I suspect she’s still lurking about somewhere.”

“I see…” said Gandalf. Suddenly Silvia entered the tent, the rustle of the tent flap announcing her otherwise silent entrance. The three men turned to look at her.

“Bard, Your Highness, Gandalf,” she greeted quickly, inclining her head.

“What is it?” demanded Thranduil impatiently. Silvia’s eyebrows shot up as she looked at the elven king.

“What is it?” repeated Bard in a gentler tone.

“Someone is here to see you,” Silvia responded dryly, before moving aside to reveal a very fidgety hobbit.

“Bilbo Baggins!” exclaimed Gandalf as the hobbit stepped in.

“Gandalf, you’re here?” Bilbo asked in surprise.

“Just arrived,” chuckled the wizard, “like you it would seem. I was informed you were holed up with Thorin and his company.”

“I am -- was,” Bilbo hastily corrected.

“What brings you here?” asked Gandalf as he clasped Bilbo’s hand warmly. Bilbo seemed to hesitate slightly before plunging on,

“Well Thorin he’s-- he’s changed you know. There’s something-- eating away at him-- inside. He’s determined to get us all killed trying to hang onto that precious treasure of his. And-- well, I won’t allow it.”

Bilbo finished, flashing the others a determined look. Gandalf, noting the other’s looks of surprise smiled knowingly, eyes twinkling.

“Hobbits. They’re quiet and kind and unassuming and they always surprise you.”

“And how,” asked Thranduil skeptically, “do you plan on preventing war?”

“With this.” Bilbo delved into his deep pocket, and as he pulled it out everyone’s jaws dropped. Sitting in his palm was the most radiant gem that any of them had ever beheld.

“Is that-- surely that’s--” Gandalf began, but trailed off.

“The Arkenstone…” breathed Thranduil. Then his sharp eyes dragged themselves from the stone to gaze intently at the hobbit.

“How did you come to be in possession of this?” asked the elven king.

“It’s my ten percent,” defended the hobbit, “of the treasure. I found it.”

“And why have you brought it here?” asked Bard.

“Well, it’s what Thorin wants most. You can use it -- to bargain with him. So I’m giving it to you.”

Thranduil raised an eyebrow,

“You would betray your friend?”

“No,” said Bilbo staunchly, “I would save all of my friends.” He held out the stone. After a long moment, Thranduil stepped forward and took it.

“Thank you Bilbo Baggins,” he said slowly, a new respect in his eyes and voice. “You have saved many lives tonight.”

*    *    *

“Are you sure you want to go back?” asked Gandalf for the umpteenth time.

“Yes,” answered Bilbo. “I have to face what I’ve done and the consequences of it. Besides, I need to know that the others are okay.”

“And by others, you really mean Aelith, yes?” muttered Runa cheekily. Bilbo didn’t respond, but the halfing and wizard noticed the tips of his ears go red.

“Very well, Bilbo Baggins,” said Gandalf, halting as they reached the edge of the town. “Go back into the mountain. Just don’t get yourself killed. I have a feeling we’ll need your services again before all is said and done.”

Bilbo smiled at the two, then took off, quickly disappearing into the night towards the mountain. Gandalf and Runa stood at the edge of town for a long while, silent as dawn began to whisper its coming on the horizon.

As the first tinge of light kissed the stars, Gandalf turned to the short girl and spoke,

“Well Runa, I believe we have work to do.”

Runa smiled at the old wizard,

“Indeed we do.”