Chapter 50

Legolas pulled his horse to a halt in front of the imposing wall of rock. Nienna slid off first, Legolas following behind and both quickly made their way to a narrow path up the cliff.

“Watch your step,” warned Legolas softly as they began their ascent, his hand finding its way to rest lightly on the small of her back. Nienna turned her head to look back at him, an eyebrow raised.

“Your concern is touching,” she responded sarcastically, “but the implied underestimation of that comment is deeply offensive.”

“What?” Legolas tilted his head slightly, confused. In the past, whenever he had used such a gesture, the lady would blush or simply thank him.

Seeing his expression, Nienna turned around all the way.

“Legolas. I know I’m a lady and for most of my life, I have been sheltered. But not anymore. I have fought orcs before and many other creatures. I have killed. I’m a warrior now, not a pretty face.”

“Well I think you’re both,” muttered Legolas as she turned back around.

Nienna froze, and flushed bright red.

“What was that?” she asked, pretending not to have heard.

“Nothing,” Legolas sighed.

“Then quit muttering and start moving,” she snapped and began to lead the way.

The trip up the face of the rock wasn’t long, but it was steep and both elves found themselves slightly winded at the top.

As they peered over, they froze in horror.

Orcs. Hordes of them: an army bigger than any they’d ever seen. As they watched they heard a long horn blast and the army began to move. It was fast and its troops organized.

“We must hurry,” said Legolas shortly before turning and leading the way down.

Nienna, stumbling after him, asked in confusion, “Why?”

Legolas glanced back at her, but didn’t pause in his descent. “Did you not see in what direction that army was headed?”

“What--” she broke off as realization dawned. Her pace picked up to where she was forcing Legolas to move faster.

“Hurry up then,” she said urgently. Legolas complied, soon jumping onto his horse.

He turned to give Nienna a hand in time to watch her easily swing herself up behind him. Upon finding him watching her, Nienna frowned at him.

“What are we waiting for?” she asked. “Let’s move.” Blinking, Legolas turned around quickly and was soon riding quickly back the way they’d come.

*    *    *

“Thorin, surely you don’t really mean to stay in here?” the question boomed through the hall as the doors were slammed open.

Thorin had been pacing his favorite hall, the floor molten gold with a ceiling high enough for a giant. He looked up at the abrupt intrusion on his thoughts with a fierce glare.

His expression faltered for a moment when he took in the offender’s identity and appearance.

It was Avice, fury in her eyes and she was once again hiding behind the mask.

Then his face hardened.

“What are you going on about?” he demanded harshly. She didn’t even wince at his tone, merely marching up to him.

“You know exactly what I’m talking about Thorin Oakenshield! You’re cousin has arrived to help and you are doing nothing!”

“What would you have me do?” he retorted.

“I would have you go out and fight. Be the king you were meant to be, not hide in here like some greedy weakling!”

Thorin’s expression darkened.

“I will not risk my right!”

“Your right?!” Avice was almost screeching, completely livid. “Being a king is not a right, it’s a privilege! One you must earn by LEADING YOUR PEOPLE!”

“This is my birthright!” Thorin insisted.

“Really? Your birthright? Being born means nothing! Orcs are born to kill and yet we don’t just let them go about killing people! Besides, you are not a king! You are pathetic. You aren’t ruling, you are being ruled by your greed!”

“How dare you! I am--”

“If you say anything about being my king,” Avice interrupted in a warning tone.

“--your king!” Thorin finished just in time for Avice’s fist to connect with his jaw. He stumbled back from the strength behind the blow, completely shocked.

“Right, well I refuse to stay any longer and put up with your nonsense,” Avice said. “I’m going to fight. Maybe you’ll join once you’ve found your honor.”

And then she stalked out.

Thorin began to pace the halls. And as he reveled in his isolation, the now familiar voices of gold began to call out to him.

*    *    *

“Uncle!”

Thorin walked onto the battlement and was immediately approached by a determined Kili.

“Uncle,” he repeated, “I’m going to fight! I cannot sit here any longer! Avice, Aelith, Nora and Sarabelle have all left to join the battle!” His rant was gently stopped as Thorin placed his hand on his nephew’s shoulder.

“You are right.” He looked at all the gathered dwarves and felt a swell of pride at their faces. “I am sorry my friends. I have not been the king you deserve. I have lost my honor and my sense of duty to you as king. But that will change. We must fight.”

The dwarves all cheered and did not hesitate to follow their king.