Chapter 35

“I cannot believe we survived,” said Runa collapsing on the rocky bank where the company all sat, the majority waterlogged and half drowned.

“You five half the luck of a demon,” gasped out Fili who lay eagle spread next to Nora (who was attempting to start a fire with her dripping staff and the remains of Fili’s barrel).

Avice and Thorin were standing beside each other and determinedly looking everywhere but at each other. Aelith and Bilbo were next to them and were discussing something in low voices.

Silvia was standing by Nienna and Runa and listening to the two girls in amusement as the argued over who had killed more orcs.

Kili offered Sarabelle a hand, which she accepted, to help her out of the bucket. As she smiled at him and stepped out, he grinned, suddenly and, once the hobbit was safely on dry land, turned to face Nienna and Runa.

“Fork it over,” he said, hand out and palm up. Nienna looked confused.

“What?”

“The bet for Avice and Thorin, I win, so you two owe me.”

“WHAT?! THEY KISSED?! WHEN?! WHERE?!” Both girls screeched whirling to look at the awkward and now beet red pair.

“YOU HAD A BET?!” exclaimed Avice looking livid. The girls laughed sheepishly before scurrying over to Kili and Sarabelle, where they dragged the full story out.

Aelith, distracted from her conversation with Bilbo glanced at the two in amusement, but only said,

“Well it’s about time.” And with that obscure statement, she turned back to Bilbo.

“It was an accident!” exclaimed Avice and Thorin simultaneously. They looked at each other, flushed even darker shades of red and quickly turned in opposite directions, Avice to scold Nienna and Runa and Thorin to start organizing his men.

“I can’t believe you three! I slipped!” Avice said, smacking both Nienna and Runa upside the head as she approached from behind.

Nienna and Runa both yelped at the attack and Kili and Sarabelle laughed as they rubbed the backs of their heads.

“Hey look,” said Kili, distracted suddenly and pointing behind the girls. They turned to see a boat had anchored a ways away on the riverbank and its owner was now being approached by Thorin and Balin.

“Uh oh,” said Nienna. “I smell trouble.” They quickly hurried to join the rest of the company which had congregated behind their king, facing the stranger.

As they got close enough, they heard Thorin attempting to barter passage with Balin’s help, but judging by the man’s expression, it wasn’t looking promising.

“We can pay,” Balin offered abruptly. The man glanced at Balin sharply, considering and the company held their breath.

“Fine.”

The company sighed in relief and from the back, Nora exclaimed,

“YAAAAY!!! WOOO-HOOOO!!!! Um… where are we going?” Aelith facepalmed from the front and, as the dwarves plus Sarabelle boarded, moved toward her friends.

“We are headed to the Lake Town,” she informed a highly confused, but still excited Nora.

“What’s a Lake Town?” asked Nienna.

“Lake Town,” Silvia stepped in, “is a city of men, the closest settlement to Smaug’s Mountain. It is the next logical stop on your journey and unless you are willing to trek around the entire lake and swamp, we must find passage there.”