Chapter 31

Thranduil knew he shouldn’t. He had other things to do after all, like getting dressed for the feast that was a couple hours away. However, he still found himself outside the small room reserved for recovery.

With a sigh, he stared at the door, trying to think up a good reason to walk away. Unfortunately, nothing came to mind that was propelling enough to drive him away from the curious girl inside.

So he pushed open the door and entered, but not before making sure he looked like the rega king he was.

His effort was wasted as he discovered upon his entrance. Runa, who he’d left about to drift off wasn’t in bed. In fact, she wasn’t in the room at all.

Runa was gone.

Muttering elvish oaths under his kingly breath, Thranduil stalked out and walked with long strides to the center of the healing wing, searching for the elf in charge of the girl.

She might not have run away, Thranduil tried to reason with himself. Perhaps she’s getting a checkup or food or new clothes or… His instincts told him none of those excuses were the case and his pace quickened.

He needed her. Or more accurately, he needed what she knew. She clearly knew something he didn’t at any rate and interrogating her was a far more pleasant option that the grumpy, self-proclaimed King Under the Mountain currently lounging in the royal dungeons.

Thranduil entered, shoving both of the double doors open with a bang, catching the attention of every elf in the Healing Hall.

“Your Majesty,” said the head healer, an older, female elf with matronly eyes. “How may I assist you?”

“I’m searching for an escaped ward…” Thranduil said, not loud enough for the other elves to hear as they went slowly back to work.

“And escaped ward?” The elf looked confused for a moment, then caught on. “Oh my. Is she gone?”

Thranduil nodded grimly, his suspicions confirmed. If the Head Healer didn’t know where Runa was, she had definitely run for it.

“I will have a couple elves check the other rooms and kitchens for her, but short of revealing her presence to the entire palace there’s not much else I can do,” she admitted. Thranduil sighed,

“No. Keep her identity a secret.” The elven lady nodded and turned away. “And thank you,” Thranduil added and she glanced back with a motherly smile.

Turning, Thranduil exited the Healing Wing and hastily made his way back to his throne room. He need assistance, but who could he trust…

As he passed through the doors, he turned to one of the guards and said,

“Fetch Legolas. Quickly.” The guard nodded and scurried off as the doors slammed shut behind Thranduil, leaving him alone again in his throne room.

Suddenly a thought occurred to him and his head jerk up, his eyes narrowing suspiciously.

“I know you’re here,” he called in a commanding tone. “Come out.”

He waited for several agonizing seconds, but when there was no reply, his shoulders slumped ever so slightly and he moved to his throne, his gaze far away in thought…

*    *    *

Runa had to bite her tongue to keep from snickering. When the king had first called out, she’d frozen in terror, sure she’d been discovered.

However, it was blatantly obvious even from her hiding place in the rafters that Thranduil was fibbing. Oh he tried so hard it was funny.

As he sat down Runa smiled to herself one last time before slipping from her hiding place to the secret grating she’d found in the ceiling. It was for ventilation purposes (elves liked their fresh air) so it wasn’t big enough for a normal elf, but for Runa, who was stood at just above half their height, it was perfect.