Chapter 15

“Johnny,” I whined, pulling on his sleeve, earning a smirk out of him. “Why must we walk everywhere?” I pouted up at him, earning a few strange glances from the few passer-by-ers on the streets of Gotham so late at night. It was warm, not too humid, and held a beautiful full moon. There was a light wind that would occasionally blow my hair into my face; I was in serious need of a ponytail holder.

“Well,” he sighed, adjusting the shoulder strap of my enormous bag. “I thought that it wouldn’t be so bad since I was carrying your stuff down the crowded sidewalk of the busy city.” He smiled down at me over the brim of his glasses. I huffed and rolled my eyes, standing up straight smirking to myself.

“I guess I can deal with that as compromise.” I chuckled. “So where exactly are we going, my dear doctor? Home was the other way.” I pointed back toward the warehouse district.

“I told you, I have business to attend to.” He nodded to a shop on the corner of the opposite street. I don’t know how I hadn’t noticed this earlier, but there wasn’t a soul on this block; like we were in the Restricted Section.

“Well, who’s in there?” I squinted at the huge sign on the top. It had been pretty messed up due to weather and multiple vandals; they always amaze me by getting their work on tall structures.

“If you follow me you’ll find out for yourself.” He chuckled, stepping into the deserted street.

I grinned and ran to the door of the shop, not really thinking it through as I banged loudly on the door. Stepping back I stood there with a huge grin on my face, waiting for the shabby wooden door to open.  I could hear someone move inside, knocking down a multitude of objects. Through all the crashing and falling, I could make out someone cursing at the time and how it never moves until he needs to be doing something. I looked back at John to see him frowning at whoever was inside, displeased with having to wait so long.

“What do you wa- Oh hello Scarecrow.” Jervis Tech was looking up at the tall figure behind me. He was sporting a typical green top hat and a colorful, dingy suit. Jonathan placed his hands on my shoulders, moving Jervis’ gaze to my own. “Majesty!” He exclaimed, embracing me tightly. “Where ever have you been? You never showed for tea time!”

“Sorry Jervis,” I smiled up at the delusional man. “I’ve been… busy.”

“No matter! Inside now, inside. The tea will be getting cool and cool tea is not tasty tea.” The short man dragged the two of us in after him, slamming the door and locking it quickly. I looked up at Johnny worriedly, but he just reassured me with a smile that we were going to be fine.

“So Jervis, what is it you wanted to talk to me about.” Jonathan asked calmly, making his way toward a wooden chair.

The room here hadn’t changed too much. There was still an enormous wooden table in the center, surrounded by mismatching wooden chairs. The walls were covered in peeling paint that used to be a sky blue color, darkened from the lack of cleanliness in the building. There was a back doorway, leading to a room full of clothing, which had a painting of the Cheshire cat smiling down on everyone above the frame. Along the left was there were multiple wooden shelves that held an assortment of stuffed animals resembling all of the characters in Lewis Carol’s beloved story. Jervis stood by these little figures, trying to pick them up from the ground and place them.