Chapter 18

--- Bruce’s POV---

The cave was empty when I returned from bringing Joker to Arkham. Seeing him on the television this morning was surprising, even if it was to send a challenge to Batman. I visited the hospital first, finding out that they had enough energy to sustain longer than I originally thought. I had then quickly made my way across town to the park. There, Joker lay flat on his back with a smile on his face.

“Shocking isn’t it?” was all he giggled about the entire time I brought him back to his cell.

“Afternoon Master Bruce.” Alfred greeted me from the Batcomputer.

“Afternoon Alfred.” I walked closer to the screen to see there were multiple windows open, replaying footage from around the city. “What’s this?”

“I believe, sir, it is your god-daughter.” He frowned up at the screens, as if deep in thought.

“Kat disappeared months ago.” I muttered, examining the girl running in the cameras.

A girl with long brown hair led a group of small children through the city. A different camera showed her beating on the door of some shop, yelling something to the people inside. She spun around and did her best to protect the kids from Joker’s goons. She said something and they got close; that’s when things got scary. She laughed and hit the ground with her cane, lightning coming down to strike the clowns.

“What was that?” My eyes widened and Alfred just looked more perplexed.

“A potential problem sir.” he sighed before walking away, leaving me alone in the cave.

“Bruce!” Tim called as he ran past Alfred. He was in his Robin uniform, except for the mask, and had a slight frown on his face.

“What is it Tim? What were you doing out?”

“I went to follow the girl that zapped Joker,” he panted, trying to catch his breath from something. “And I followed her to the GCPD building. Gordon had brought her in and she escaped.”

“Escaped Gordon? She doesn’t think of him as a high threat, so why’d she leave?” I mumbled to myself.

“I don’t know, but in the few minutes we talked, and when I chased her halfway around Gotham, it’s fairly obvious that she’s different. You know, other than being able to manipulate electricity.” Tim ran a hand through his black hair, a quick smirk appearing on his lips before he started talking about her again. “She’s faster and more agile. Bruce, she jumped from the top of the bank onto the pawnshop roof like she was hopping over a crack in the sidewalk. Where ever she disappeared too, she’s way more advanced.”

I let what he said sink in a little bit. Katrina, my Kat, was enhanced somehow? What had happened to her? She used to be perfectly content with wrestling Richard in the mansion or racing four-wheelers, but then she decided to side with the rouges. What in the world had made her change so fast; so drastically? She came back to us for a while, even if it was somewhat reluctantly. The only person that held the tiniest bit of sway over her was Richard; they were close.

“Bruce?” Tim sounded concerned as he awakened me from my daydream.

“Call Dick. He-“

“No need for that Bruce.” He called from the entrance of the cave, his bike purring. I looked over at his face to see he already knew. “Where is she Tim?”

“I don’t know.” The boy frowned. “Ra’s ninjas attacked me while I was waiting for her to scale the side of the theatre.”

“Ra’s? Why are his assassins involved with this?” Dick looked at me and I had no answer for him.