Chapter 48

I absolutely hate hospitals but no one seems to remember that. I've only said it every time I've had to be in one over the last four years.

That being said, I was acutely aware of a lower noise level in this particular building. The walls had faint blue patterns and the lights were not quite as... surgical. My room had a little kitchenette and a bathroom tucked away near my bed. A moderate sized TV was mounted on the wall opposite me and was silently playing NCIS.

"Miss Wayne?"

The door opened and an elderly lady with short brown hair in pin curls smiled at me. She wore a light blue set of scrubs, the same color as the wall pattern, and carried a clipboard in her hands.

"How are you feeling?" I fidgeted under her kind gaze; it didn't feel genuine.

"Fine. Where am I?"

"You're in a selective living ward of Gotham Central Hospital." She came further into the room and placed the clipboard on the counter of the kitchenette. "You came in a few hours ago."

It came to me then, the conversation with Gordon in the Police Department. My hand flew to my rib, but there was no blood, no bandage, no sign of anything I had felt.

"How long am I going to be here?"

"Only a few more hours is my guess. You are physically fine, the doctors were just concerned about keeping you nearby should something have happened in your sleep."

She looked at the machines near me, turned a few knobs, and returned to the clipboard to jot a few things down.

"Relax, as best as you can, and when the sun comes up I expect you'll be able to return home."

She smiled again and exited the room, closing the door behind her. There were voices outside the door, but I just... I couldn't focus on what they were saying. My eyes flashed to the machines and their numbers blurred into different colored lights.

"Relax, my child," Ra's' voice chastised me, but I could not find from where. "There is work to be done tonight."

-

"For fuck's sake!"

The man beneath my heel gazed up in fear. My stiletto stayed firmly pressed against his skull. Lightning cast harsh shadows across his face.

"Those are not the words you are to repeat to your boss." I raised an eyebrow at the man laid out across the warehouse floor. "Can you not follow simple instructions?"

"Fuck you, lady." He spit in my direction. Thunder shook the old metal building.

"So be it."

I removed my hold on the man and gripped my blade firmly in my hand. The metal severed his head from his shoulders before he could process my intent.

"Next."

Detire pulled another man from the edge of the room and placed him before me. He removed the facial gag and forced him to his knees. This man had large muscular arms covered in prison tattoos and short black hair. His eyes flashed around the room before settling on me.

"Tell me, can you-"

"I will tell Black Mask that Ra's al Ghul wants him to stop moving weapons. I can do that."

I grinned at the man before me and motioned to Detire. The large man's wrist and ankle bindings were cut and he rose to his full height at 6'4".

"Very good. Be on your way, you do not want to gain the attention of the Bat."