Chapter 28

Jonathan kept his promise. After he was done learning what he could from his newest patient he took me where I wanted to go; Burger King.

“Think of all the things in the world that are better for your body, and then imagine Burger King and the most dangerous thing.” Jonathan tried for the thirteenth time since we left his house to convince me to go eat somewhere else.

“But I don’t tend to do what’s best for me, do I Johnny Boy?” I laughed at his scowl. “Your face will get stuck like that. Ask Joker, it’s not fun.”

“I’d rather not deal with the clown right now,” John slightly flinched at the thought. “Whenever he and Harley get out of Arkham they’re very dangerous people for the first three days.”

“Is the King of Nightmares scared?” I grinned wildly while the Scarecrow in him started to show in his eyes.

“Never,” he hissed.

“Good, then don’t fear the food from Burger King.”

“But it’s not even food!” Jonathan whined once again. We reached a crowded crosswalk and he immediately put his head down.

“Jonathan, it’s nine at night,” I snorted at the paranoid man.

“Yes, it’s nine at night on the same day we escaped,” he hissed under his breath. “People are always more alert when they’re paranoid about things, when they fear the worst.”

“Well, I’m not afraid of anything tonight. No that is not a challenge Mister Crane.” I smiled when I saw the corner of his mouth twitch into a smile. The crosswalk light lit up and people began to move. “C’mon, let’s get going,” I grabbed his hand and dragged him across the street and into the burger joint.

“What can I get for you?” An extremely bored teen worked behind the register and barely looked alive as he tried to take our order.

“Two quarter pounders for the girl, one salad for the lanky guy, and I’ll take two of your Angus Burgers.” When I heard the smoothness of arrogance, I knew who it was.