Chapter six

The car ride was relatively quiet; no one knowing what to say. Chris was trying to be as invisible as possible and I couldn’t help but think about Ed. I was really worried about him today. Hopefully he could keep the male rouges in line… right? I sighed and my head hit the back of the seat.

“It’s going to be fine.” Chris whispered to me, smiling slightly. I rolled my eyes in response and looked out the window. We sat in silence for a few more seconds while Chris pulled into the huge gated area.

“Are we going to park?” Harley sounded confused, watching us pass up the small lot and continue driving toward the stone structures.

“Nope.” Chris smiled, looking at her through the rearview mirror. “They’ve spaced it out so you can just drive through. Besides, you don’t want to walk; Katy will drag you everywhere twice.” He chuckled and I punched his shoulder softly.

“Hater.” I muttered.

“Only on Sundays.” He nodded, just pushing my buttons.

“Why are we even here?” Ivy whined, she and the other two Sirens looking very irked.

“Because,” I said harsher than I meant. I cleared my throat and flashed a quick smile. “Little Miss Scary might enjoy it.” I covered. Luna was still giving me a cautious look but nodded. “If you don’t want to we can leave m’dear.”

“No. It’s fine.” Luna tried to reassure me. I nodded and Chris drove past some of my favorite tombs. They were all unique, some having huge families in them and some with only a few. Chris stopped the truck and I climbed down.

“Y’all can stay in if you want, I’m going to walk around for a bit. I can show y’all the coolest ones though.” I smiled energetically. Big surprise, only Luna got out of the car with Chris and me. “I’ll see you three later.” I closed the door and quickly walked to Chris’s side of the vehicle.

“Ready?” I smiled at the nervous and ever-thinking bride to be. Luna smiled and nodded, looking more comfortable here. “Let’s go.” I smiled and started walking along the road. I found the first tomb on my ‘to visit’ list. Across the top the name J. V. Harrington was carved in huge letters. This particular tomb had a metal statue of a woman sitting on the side, limply holding a rose. The metal was green from age and it still looked incredibly life like. I reached in my pocket and pulled out two pennies, laying them amongst the other coins beside her rose. I looked at the carvings on the front wall; there only being one name, a cross, and a religious symbol I couldn’t remember the name off.

“Why do we leave her with money momma?” I lay the money down, sunlight reflecting off of it.

“Why not?” She smiled at me. “I’ll tell you when you get older.”

“Promise?” I smiled as she nodded at me.

I turned and started walking again. I was kind of surprised Luna didn’t ask anything, but I think she’s lost in her own thoughts. I glanced over my shoulder to see that I was right. She followed me, Chris behind her, but didn’t see what she’d look at.

“Luna!” I called, making her jump slightly. “Come here.” I waved her over, smiling. She nodded and smiled, quickening her pace. When she caught up I linked my arm in hers and started dragging her further back into the graveyard. “This one’s new.” I noted, pulling her around to the front of a new tomb/mausoleum. The little building had stained glass that had already been broken and iron gates that were locked to keep this strictly a family’s. Out on either side of the building, there were kneeling angels; solid white and peaceful looking.

“Sorrowful angels?” Luna asked and I frowned, shaking my head.

“I don’t think so. They don’t look sorrowful, they look happy.” I knelt down by one and traced the facial expression with my thumb. She stood there, thinking, so I got up and decided it was time to move again.