Chapter nine

“Throw me somethin’ mister!”

“Hey! Over here!”

The streets were filled with crazy, drunk, yelling people. You could easily tell where the parade routes were because the crowds of people got more colorful and the smell of alcohol mixed with barbeque was everywhere. Chris and I had decided to just walk around for a bit and try to avoid Endymion crowds.

“So are we actually going to try and catch anything this year? Or do you just want to… be?” Chris asked after another few minutes of what I thought was a comfortable silence; guess I was wrong.

“No, we can go to a parade.” I smiled, bringing my arms across my chest in an attempt to hold onto some body warmth. I heard Chris sigh as he took off his grey Hollister jacket, smirking at me.

“Take it.” He chuckled, wrapping the soft fabric around my shoulders. “We don’t need you getting sick or anything now do we?”

“Nope.” I quickly smiled and put my arms through, enjoying the heat surrounding my torso. “Let’s go.” I grabbed his hand and we walked toward the obnoxiously loud parade goers, hoping to catch plastic beads we’d end up throwing away tomorrow.

--- Unknown POV---

“They’ve stopped. Keep out of sight.” Her voice spoke in my head. I shoved my hands in my pockets and stopped a few yards back, trying to look like anyone else in this city. I quickly scanned the area, seeing no potential threats, before approaching the metal barriers in the streets. The girl stopped as the guy wrapped his jacket around her. I thought this was the Riddler’s girl, but it’s not important.

“They’re changing direction.” I spoke softly as the couple started walking in the opposite direction; toward the crowded street.

“Do not loose them. My father will not be pleased with the slightest failure.” Her accent hissed a little, sending chills down my back.

“Yes ma’am.” I replied, not once taking my eyes off of the targets. It still wasn’t quite clear why Master al Ghul was interested in her, but I was not going to question him. I turned around as they passed by me, trying to be invisible as I was taught.

“Oh! I’m sorry!” A female voice cried out after hitting my shoulder. How did that happen? I turned to see it was the girl I was supposed to be watching; the same one from the Christmas party. Her brown eyes filled with recognition and her breathing stopped.

“Kat, what’s going on?” The stranger asked, keeping a firm hand on her shoulder. Had Ra’s Al Ghul himself not trained me extensively, her quick punch would have broken my nose. I simply reached out and grabbed her fist.

“Leave Chris.” She glared at me. “Leave now.” The guy seemed to be debating something but left nonetheless. “Now what do you want ninja? You’ve been following me I know it and I want to know why. What does Ra’s want from me?” She sounded almost desperate and her eyes flickered across my face, trying to get a shred of information.

“I do not know.” I answered firmly. “I am supposed to be invisible to you.”

“You’ve been obviously following me since I got off the plane.” She snorted, placing a hand on her hip. “Maybe Ra’s should do a better job of training his assassins.”

I didn’t quite know how to respond to her. She was… different. She didn’t fear my presence, she didn’t fear my Master, and she disrespected it with a light air. How odd. 

--- Kat’s POV---

After not revealing any motive or emotion, the ninja let slip a look of disbelief and confusion. I didn’t want to fight with him, not here, but I needed to know why he followed me. My fist was still kept tight in his hand near his face and he showed no intention of letting go.