Chapter 32

After the ball, I ran down the streets until I reached the solitary road that would lead me to my warehouse. Half expecting Gordon or Bruce to come speeding down the empty road, I sat there waiting in the middle of the pavement. After ten minutes of nothing but cool air, I continued my walk home. The woods lining the way were far more ominous-looking at night; offering comfort where others would find fear. The shadows moved when the wind blew the branches around and for once I wasn’t even startled by the sounds they made. No more reasons to be afraid for tonight.

But of course, I always have to jinx myself.

The alarms I set when Basil tried to kidnap me didn’t go off when I’d get close enough to trip them. My eyes scanned the surrounding buildings, unable to find something out of place. I took one of my shoes and threw it in the precise spot that would set off three different alarms. The heel landed first, then it bounced onto the toe before standing straight upright. There were no sirens, no flashing lights, and no callings for the intruders to leave.

“I don’t like this,” I muttered.

“You look dynamic, Miss Wayne.” Jase’s voice seemed to come from all corners of the property without coming from the speakers.

“Jase, I thought we got passed all this.” I flashed my best smile as I walked to retrieve my shoe. If he was here, something was very, very wrong.  With both shoes in my right hand I continued walking to my front door, shaking the handle.

“It’s unlocked.” Jase’s voice was teasing and the smirk he wore was quite unsettling. He was leaning against my counter top by the sink, arms folded across his chest. He was wearing the typical ninja clothes; black.

“Do I have another guest awaiting my arrival?”

“Not this time. Today the Demon thought it best if he sent someone else to talk to you.”

“So he’s not as stupid as I thought he was,” I snorted. Of course on the inside I was shaking in fear. The one person I didn’t ever plan on upsetting was Ra’s al Ghul and his gang of ninjas. Oops.

“He doesn’t not say the same about you.” Jase pushed off the counter and was standing in front of me in two steps. His face lost all its previous humor, now looking grim. “He’s beginning to think of how you are to repay him Katrina, and none of his ideas are pleasant.”

“Did you expect him to think of anything remotely pleasant in the first place?” I raised an eyebrow at him questioningly. “I’m sure I can handle whatever it is Ra’s is planning. I did exactly what he said in the first place, so I don’t understand what his problem is.” I do my best to keep my face blank, but my smirk escaped.

“Katrina,” his voice soft. “Don’t make this worse. Just, give him what was in it back.”

“I can’t. It’s destroyed. We’ve been over this.” My voice came out flat and hostile; he’s overstayed his welcome. “It would be wise for you to vacate the premises.” Jase gave me a flat look before walking out my front door.

This is no longer a safe place, time to move.

--- Ra’s POV---

It’s been months since Katrina walked out of this warehouse. The rest of my renovations have since been completed, so my walls are finally rid of the ridiculous scaffolding. The walls are now decorated with a few chains spread evenly at eyelevel and an occasional blade. I had just finished hanging the last one when the door creaked open.

“What has she decided?” My voice gave away none of my emotion.

“She has refused.” The assassin I had following her around answered in a disappointed tone.