Chapter 42

"This is Vicky Vale reporting live from downtown Gotham where just moments ago the Penguin was seen fleeing from a hail of bullets. The rumors of unrest in the criminal world are starting to play out in the streets. This is the third incident this week involving gun violence over what we assume to be territory. Tune in at nine for more on this story and give us a call at the station to tell us your opinions."

-

"Hello this is Vicky Vale on the streets of Gotham after one of the Joker's raids on mid-town. As you can see there is nothing left untouched by the delusional criminal. Buildings are burning, the street is littered with rubble and bullets. Many of Gotham's Finest were injured and rushed to the ICU of Gotham General Hospital. It's been three weeks of absolute terror in the city leaving many people asking themselves, where is the Batman? Surely with the tolls these attacks have been taking on the police force the vigilante would show his cape and cowl. Or has he finally switched sides and joined the rest of Gotham's masked mayhem. Tune in at six for more coverage and an interview with Police Chief Commissioner Gordon."

-

"I am currently outside of Wayne Manor where Bruce Wayne and his ward Tim Drake have gathered every media source for an impromptu press conference. What does the multi-millionaire have to tell us? A fundraiser for those effected by the increase in violent crime or just another gala for his achievements in the business world, just recently out ranking LexCorp in the stock markets. Hold on... here he is."

"Hello Gotham, I realize that everyone in this fine city is facing tough, violent, and terrifying times. However I have a personal matter that I need your help with. My god-daughter, Katrina Boudreaux Wayne, has been missing for two months now. I understand that you may not have the best image of her, but the police and I believe there to be foul play from a third party. If anyone has any information regarding her whereabouts please call the GCPD's Tip Line. For anyone who can help us find her or bring her home I am willing to pay five million dollars of compensation. Please, help us find her."

"You heard it here folks, Katrina Wayne is missing and Billionaire Bruce Wayne is willing to pay big money for her return. Does this mean that her days of dancing the line of the law are over or is this just a publicity stunt by the rebel teen? Could she really be in danger? If you have any information call the number that we have on the screen."

-

"It's been four months since the beginning of what the public is referring to as the 'Arkham Wars.' Despite the Batman's involvement the violence is only escalating throughout the city. Arkham Asylum's director is refusing to speak to any media regarding the insufficient security, allowing for continuous break-outs. Blackgate Prison has released statements that their facility has heightened security measures due to the state of the city and assure us there will be no inmates escaping their cells. The hunt for Katrina Wayne has gone cold in part due to Gotham's current status. There have been no definitive answers or clues about her disappearance with the exception of the Joker's statement earlier this week while he was seen assaulting Falcone's men.

"Ahahahaha! Things haven't been this fun in a long time! Once she left it's like you guys got your funny bone back! Ahahahahahah!!!"

"We hope that the god-daughter of Bruce Wayne will return to us safely after the violence in the city has lessened."

-

"This is Vicky Vale. After ten months of unbelievable violence it has finally come to an end. Earlier this evening Joker was found bound and unconscious outside the police precinct left by none-other than the Batman himself. A team from the newly-renovated Arkham Asylum arrived shortly after to keep him sedated as they moved him into a new state-of-the-art cell. The Asylum received exuberant amounts of money from the anonymous donors to fortify the building and outer wall of the complex while also upgrading all of the equipment and housing facilities inside the structure. Both Don Maroni and Don Falcone have declared a truce to help rebuild the city. The statement we received from them was, and I quote,

'The citizens of Gotham have suffered enough at the hands of insane killers in masks and makeup. This is a time to come together and begin to rebuild.'

With the Arkham Wars behind Gotham and its people the question on everyone's lips seems to be about Katrina Wayne. No longer fearing burning buildings or exploding cars, the public has taken to the streets and surrounding area to search for the missing girl. It's been approximately a year since Bruce Wayne vocalized her disappearance. Was she waiting out the terror? Did she know about what was going on? We'll be covering more of this story tonight at ten."

-

"Katrina."

His voice floated to me across the room through the fog.

Yes.

There he was.

There was no more effort in my actions, it was as natural as breathing. The fog grew thicker and the sky blacker, but I never changed state. His movement was small and precise; as was mine.

The blade cut the air before me swiftly and as I had been taught my hand rose to meet the smooth blunt side of the weapon. Stepping lightly I spun my body, dragging the hand and blade swiftly around and launching it to its owner. While time seemed to slow the other trainees sucked in a breath. Whispers wove between them.

Did you see that?

She can't be human.

Where did the master find her?

What did he do to her?

A grin crept onto my face as the sound of metal sinking into flesh and muscle, scraping at bone, and finally resting in the heart played like music in my ears. The deep beats from his chest quickened for a moment before dying out, his weight falling upon the mat as iron filled the air. Hands gently tugged at the knot on the back of my head and the blind fell into an outstretched hand.

"You have done well my student." The Demon's eyes gleamed down in the dark. "I believe it is time for us to return finally. You have proven your dedication to me and my vision."

"Yes." I bowed from the waist. Once upright again the fog cleared and a crescent moon mocked us in the starry sky. "It is time to purge Gotham of its evil."

--Hello everyone! I am so incredibly sorry it has taken me over four months to update this story! Honestly, it wasn't supposed to last this long but I wrote more than I expected and it prolonged my main plot. That's what this chapter is for me, it's to move things along and bring us to Kat's main struggle. I hope you'll continue to bare with me in finishing Kat's story. If there's anything you think will happen, a headcannon you have for Kat or what's going on, or anything you are dying to see happen drop a comment on the chapter or message it to me and it could very well happen! I always want to know what you guys are thinking. I hope you are all doing well and as always, Enjoy your day! SNE--