3

Novas POV
I was cleaning off the bar when Rafe came over. He was the last person I wanted to see after last night. On top of that I had to clean up the beach too. I didn't need this at all.

I grabbed the bottles off the counter and threw them in the bin I was carrying around. Rafe sat at the bar. I sighed and placed the bin on the counter.

"Bars closed can't you read the sign country club" I said pointing to it. "Look your right ok I should've done something" Rafe said. "Yeah you should've but you didn't" I said cleaning the counters. "I'm sorry Nova he could've killed your brother and hurt you" Rafe said.

"Yeah I'm sure it would've been better if he did hurt us" I said. "That's not true Nova" Rafe said. "Ok look like I told you I'm done playing your game" I said stacking the cups. "My family life isn't perfect" he said I stopped what I was doing and looked at him.

"What did you just say" I said. "You said go home to your perfect little family" Rafe said. "I" I said. "Look I don't have the perfect family my Dad doesn't give a shit and my step mom hardly knows I exist" Rafe said.

"Why are you telling me this" I said. "I'm telling you this because you understand it" Rafe said. "Rafe" I said. "Just... go ok" I said. "All I've ever wanted to do was make my father proud" Rafe said. I knew how that felt. John B was always the favorite out of both of us.

"Nova are you coming" JJ said walking over. "Coming to do what" I said. "You know that date" JJ said. "What date JJ" I said. He took my arm and walked away with me. "You know our date" JJ said loudly. I looked back and Rafe walked away.

"Ok what" I said. "We found something and you are coming" JJ said taking my hand to get on the boat. John B,Kie and Pope were waiting for me. "Hop on" Kie said.

I stepped in and sat by Pope. We then took the boat out and ended up at some hotel. JJ an John B got off.

"Please be careful" I said. "Really watch JJ" Kie said. "Guys keep an eye out" John B said. They walked up the steps and we watched around. "So why's Rafe bothering you" Kie asked me. "He's not bothering me" I said.

"He probably only wants to use you know how he is with girls" Pope said. "And you'd know because" I said. "It's all talk plus what's he want with a pogue" Pope said. "I don't know Pope what does he want maybe a friend" I said.

"I don't think JJ would like that" Kie added on. "What I do and who I chose to hang around with isn't his concern" I said. "He cares about you a lot" Pope said. "I think he as a little crush" Kie said.

Later....
We went home not finding anything but more clues that led us to nothing. John B seemed to think our father was alive and behind this all.

I sat on the hammock outside watching the stars. JJ joined me.

"So country club huh" JJ said. "JJ I didn't even wanna talk to him I'm not gonna be unprofessional" I said. "Why him" JJ said. "JJ I don't like him like that ok I understand him" I said. "He's a kook he's no good for you" JJ said.

"Guys we gotta go we found something" Kie said.

We all hopped in the bus. We drove to the cemetery and hopped over the fence. We had to find out great grandmothers grave.

"NO NO" I said seeing big snakes. "BARK BARK" JJ said barking at them. I laughed. "Really JJ" John B said. "What your sister is scared of them" JJ said. "I can fit guys" Kie said looking at the hole on top.

We helped her in. I gave her the light.

"Look out Nova" Pope said I screamed and jumped in JJ's arms. "Well hi" JJ whispered. "I'm over this stop" I said holding onto JJ. "I got it" Kie said climbing out with the small package.

We then ran out because someone was chasing us. We took it home. John B and I opened it. It was a letter from our father. One for me and one for him.

"I'll go out here" I said sitting down on the couch. I sighed and opened the letter.

Dear, My beautiful bright girl if you are reading this that means you and John B figured it out. I discovered something star. Look I know you feel like I favored your brother more. But the truth is I'm so proud of you. You are so smart and my little sunshine. If you are reading this though I hope we have a big house on the banks and all this is a joke now. But if for some other reason I didn't come home then I'm gone. Nova I love you I know I didn't say this enough to you. Take care of Bird for me you two need each other. Promise me you'll never stop looking it's out there. Nova take care of that crazy old jeep you bought before I left. Know I wasn't mad at you for it. I didn't wanna see you grow up before my eyes. I hope that we are reading this and laughing at it. I love you my big bright beautiful star
-Dad

___
I set the letter down. I got up all teary eyed.

"Nova" JJ said looking at me. I ran outside to my car. "Shit" I said punching my car door. "Nova hey come here" JJ said I turned around. I didn't like to cry. But it just hit me so badly.

I fell to the ground crying. JJ came down and hugged me tightly.

"It's ok" JJ said whispering in my ear. "He's" I said crying. I didn't think he'd find it I feel so badly about always saying he wouldn't. "Shhhh" he said rubbing my back. "JJ I feel so stupid" I said. "You aren't stupid" JJ said.

"Look I wanna be alone ok" I said getting up.

I drove off in my car. I just parked somewhere by the country club and sat outside there on the nice patio.

"Pogue Waitress" a familiar voice said. I didn't answer. I said there sniffing and crying. "What's going on" Rafe said sitting next to me. "Like you care" I said looking at him realizing he was upset.

"Believe me the night I've had I do need to talk to someone too" Rafe said. "I just found out my Dads dead and the worst part is I told him he'd never do anything" I said crying he hugged me. "But you didn't mean it" Rafe said.

"Here" I said handing him the letter. He read it and sighed. "I'm sorry" Rafe said setting it down next to me. "Why are you here Rafe what exactly do you want from me" I said. "I just wanna be a friend I'm not the person you think I am" Rafe said.

"I just feel like all you kooks see us as trash" I said. "I don't see you like that at all" Rafe said. "The one thing I'll never understand is how could he just leave" I said looking out into the ocean.

"Maybe he wanted to bring something back and not disappoint you said he was looking for treasure" Rafe said. "Yeah and I made fun of him for something that was true" I said. "Yeah but you didn't know what would happen don't blame yourself" Rafe said.

"Thanks Rafe" I said. "Yeah and ummm are you gonna be working tomorrow" Rafe said. "In the evening yeah but I have plans tomorrow with my brother and friends" I said.

"There's a party and I'd like too invite you after work of course" Rafe said. "Party's aren't really my scene if you've noticed" I said he laughed. "Yeah but stop by it's at Toppers and he doesn't hate you just don't bring JJ" Rafe said.

"Alright I'll see you I should probably get home" I said grabbing the letter. "Probably the best idea huh" Rafe said. "Yeah Rafe I'll uh see you tomorrow ok" I said. "Yeah see yeah" Rafe said.

Rafes POV
I watched her walk away and made sure she left safely. My friends would completely kill me for being nice to her because she's a pogue.

But there was something about her that I really liked. She's smart , beautiful and sassy but I really like that. This is the first girl I've ever felt this way about.

I just didn't wanna mess it up. But I also didn't want her to see some things about be. I feel like she'd hate me if she knew what I did. Hopefully she won't find out at this party.

"Hey man you talking to that pogue" Kelce said. "Problem with her buddy" Topper added on. "She's a really sweet girl and she was apologizing for JJ" I said. I had to lie to them.

"Oh her boyfriend right huh" Topper said. "Really cause she's always hitting on Rafe" Kelce said. "No she's nice stop" I said.