7

Novas POV
John B and I got stuck staying at the Cameron's. This is only because child services wanted to take us away. But yet I was working and providing for both of us. Trust me this isn't how I wanted to spend my birthday.

John B wasn't all for birthdays in general I did get him a card. But me I cared I lived another year practically raising myself and brother. I made a living for us.

Yet they still wanna take it all away from me. I'm hoping I can go home. I don't belong on this part of the island.

"What are you doing out here" Rafe asked. "Admiring the view I guess I mine as well enjoy something" I said sighing. "You don't have to work" Rafe said.

"I was fired for my actions at midsummers apparently Topper reported me to my boss so yeah" I said. "He's a dick he can't let things go" Rafe said. "What's that" I said looking at him. He was hiding something behind him.

"Well Sarah told me that it was your birthday and you didn't wanna tell anyone" Rafe said. "It's overrated" I said. "Sit here" Rafe said as I sat next to him. "I don't like gifts Rafe" I said he handed me the small bag.

"You'll like it trust me" Rafe said. "Alright I trust you I guess" I said. "You only turn eighteen once" Rafe said. I opened it. There was a very sweet card in there as well as something in a tiny box.

"Go on trust me" Rafe said I smiled and opened it. It was a necklace with a tiny little Jeep and it had a N by it. It was very beautiful. "Rafe you didn't need to do any of this" I said.

"I know how much that car meant to you so I called in a favor and they made a necklace of it and it's actually a piece from it carved into it" Rafe said.

I kissed him. This was the sweetest thing any guy had ever done for me.

"It's perfect" I said. "I'll help you put it on" Rafe said I handed it to him. I held my hair up as he put it on me. "There" he said I put my hair down. "It's perfect" I said he smiled.

"I'm glad you like it" Rafe said. "I really do it's great" I said. "Then happy birthday by the way" Rafe said. "Why thank you" I said. "I still owe you" Rafe said. "Owe me what" I said he smiled. "About eighteen kisses" Rafe said I blushed.

"Hmmmm one down like seventeen more to go" I said. "I'll get them" Rafe said kissing me. "Gross get a room" Sarah said walking out. "Your here" I said. "I do live here" Sarah said. "Shoot I gotta go" I said getting up. "Why" Rafe said.

"Ummm I don't know JJ and Kie texted me they had something planned for me" I said. "I'll see you for dinner right" Rafe said. "Yes you will and promise me no cake or singing" I said he laughed.

"Rafe" I said. "Alright I promise" Rafe said.

Later....
I went to my house. Lights were all set up and a table. But no Kie.

"Happy birthday pogue princess" JJ said I laughed. "No Kie" I said. "She's not joining us it's just you and me" JJ said. "Oh alright" I said. I sat at the picnic table. He had a little lunch thing set up.

"Surprised I could get you from your jail" JJ said. "It's not as bad as you'd think" I said. "Nice necklace was that from Kie" JJ asked. I didn't wanna tell him I knew it would upset him.

But no lies between us pogues. He is my best friend he deserves to know. I looked at him and sighed.

"What Nov... oh great him" JJ said. "JJ it's not like that" I said. "Of course it is Nova you have no idea how long I've wanted to be with you and he steps and and automatically wins" JJ said. "Is that what this is about JJ" I said.

"I just wanted to ask you put just once and it's clear you'd rather be with that Kook" JJ said. "You have no idea what he's like" I said. "I think I do he's an asshole and a druggie who gets everything handed to him" JJ said.

"No he's not JJ did you ever think for one second that he's perfectly normal or do you not care what I want" I said. "I do care but you never choose me even last summer" JJ said. "Because I don't want you and I'm sorry JJ we are friends and that's  all I see you as" I said yelling with tears streaming down my face.

"...the kooks always win don't they and now he has you" JJ said getting in my face. "Whatever JJ I guess my happiness doesn't matter it never has with you" I said crying. "Sure cry you don't have a damn problem in the world you live in a mansion now and have no Dad" JJ said.

I looked at him and smacked him across the face.

"Don't you ever disrespect my father" I said. "Go running back to him why don't you" he said throwing the table over. "Fuck you" I said. I ended up walking home.

It started raining. What an amazing birthday. I finally made it I was soaked as I stepped in the doorway. Rafe came down all dressed up nice.

"I would've picked you up you didn't text me or anything" Rafe said I looked at the ground. "Nova" Rafe said cupping my cheek I looked up at him all puffy eyed.

He immediately hugged me.

"Can we just stay and order a pizza or something" I said. "Yeah sure let's get you dry though" Rafe said walking me upstairs. He handed me a shirt of his. "I should probably shower I look a mess" I said. "Go ahead" he said pointing to his bathroom.

"I need a ummm towel" I said walking in looking around. "Right here" he said grabbing me one off the higher shelf. "Thanks" I said. "Mmmh" Rafe said. "Rafe" I said he turned around. "Yeah" Rafe said. "Ummm thank you" I said.

"Of course you know you mean a lot to me" Rafe said. I then kissed him again. We made out for about a minute. He set me on his counter. Then stopped as I tried to remove his shirt.

"No you are upset and I'm not going to take advantage of you plus we need to figure out us first ok" Rafe said. "Alright" I said. "And the baskets behind the door" Rafe said shutting the door.

"I'm so dumb" I whispered to myself.

What a birthday...