forty

claires pov

.

.

.

standing lone on the stage, with the crowd swaying in time with the beat to the song I was singing. I was infact singing one of my own. I had told the band that I was an artist myself, and the bassist even had heard of me before.  I decided to sing pretty girl since I was hoping the crowd would enjoy it most.

I was really enjoying the moment, once again in my element infront of this crowd. Although it was not a very large crowd, I was feeling that buzzing feeling in all my limbs, the excitement of performing my own art for people to hear was really a wonderful feeling. 

As I held the mic to my moist lips, I could feel the adrenaline in my forearms causing my mic to tremble a little as I held it. I wasn't worried though, I felt alive I had forgotten about Moon even being in the crowd.

I wonder if May is impressed...

for some reason I felt this though creeping to the front view of my mind, as I attempted to scan the crowd in looks for her. I knew it wouldn't be too difficult because the crowd was small but for some reason I couldn't see her. my mind had switched to auto pilot mode, the amount of times I had sang this song it felt as though it was almost second nature to me at this point. So as I sang I looked for her.

I shifted my gaze towards the bottom of the minimalistic stage, where peoples limp hands with cold beers laying at my feet. I dodged them as I tiptoed around the flooring, still trying to feel the beat of the music up through my body.

but somehow as I glanced downwards and to my right a little more, I spotted a familiar face. A short cute looking girl with her damp hair sprawled across her sweaty face. Her eyes were dull and she looked as though she was spacing out terribly. I felt awful since the loud noises and lights were probably overloading her senses. 

But I didn't overthink it and began singing and getting back to the show once more. 

I'm not quite sure what it was, but it took me a good few full moments to really process what I had just saw... quickly, I whipped my head back around doing a double take, and realized that the girl was Moon... Of course it had to be her. I had paused singing for  split second in that very moment before I processed it was her...

A sudden wave of guilt washed over me as I saw her standing there looking really under the weather. Her normal bright bubbly self, looked like a grey washed melting version of what I had once known and loved before. I hadn't even been thinking about her this entire time, and I couldn't come to terms with if that was good that I was getting over her... or bad that we just threw everything we had away.

I couldn't get hung up over her though right? right? I mean me and May were becoming pretty close so maybe that could be something... but I was probably taking it the wrong way.

In that very moment I sang the last few lines to the song. Yet as I was about to sing the last few words, in the corner of my vision I quickly noticed a growing figure in my peripherals. Keeping the mic close to my face out of breath I spun around to see May with a beaming smile on her face with her arms stretched out wide infront of me running towards me in the middle of the stage.

It caught me by surprise, with little time to think about what I was even doing, I confidently lowered the microphone from my lips and accepted Mays embrace. Replacing it with her lips instead. My thoughts were running wild, the cheering of the crowd was sharp into my sore ears but this moment was... good? 

I kissed her back without hesitation, feeling her cooler lips meet mine was almost reliving, it was sweet for a moment filling my whole body with adrenaline and excitement. Holding her close to me infront of all these people felt empowering.