forty three

moons pov 

.

.

.

Slowly and gently I pulled away from her, breathless as we stared into each others eyes. Without warning, a rather loud knock on the door to my room echoed followed by the creaking of the door. It was just Ezra making his way back into the room. Unstradling her legs from me, Claire quickly whisked off and sat down at the side of the bed.

"hey" Claire said in a rather chilled tone, Inside I was still freaking out... what did this mean??

"hey guys... sorry to interrupt but we have a... visitor." Ezra coughed, choking on his words. I raised an eyebrow in confusion, who would be visiting... my mum??

Just as I sat there with Claire touching fingertips behind our back, my levels of anxiety were high but now sitting here with Claire made things a little better. But then in what felt like slow motion, May.

May was standing there. In front of me and Claire sat together. My anxious smile turned to a straight angry frown. I heard Claire his through her teeth quietly next to me, and I whip my head around to look at her uncomfortable expression as she squeezes my hand tighter. anger in my veins started to boil. I wriggled my hands out from under hers and placed it onto my lap.

"why are you here..." I raised my voice unintentionally, not being able to control my anger towards her.

"you're a piece of shit you know that Moon??" she spoke in a oddly smug tone, forcing a fake pretentious smile at me, and began to walk over to me.

"you two know each other??" Claire asked so confused and looking a little more angrily and less anxious.

"yeah?? Claire I-"

"shut it whore" May spat at me on the bed.

I wiped my face with my free hand and then proceeded to dry it on the hospital bedsheets. Tensing my legs, I began to stand up to talk to her but Claire's tight grasp pulled me back. I took a deep breath in attempt to compose myself.

"yeah. Claire." May spat aggressively.

"we do know each other, hope it wasn't too bad getting that stain out of your dress" 

It took Claire a second or two until she glanced straight up and May and glared at her with a straight dead face. Feeling her hand loosen grip from mine she stood up and walked right over to her, I sat still dazed.

"you... YOU!" Claire roared straight up in Mays face. almost breathing on her. Me and Ezra glanced at each other in disbelief. I was unsure of whether to get  up to help Claire or sit and watch in complete and utter disbelief. 

Mays face dropped from a smug expression to the look of a whimpering dog with its tail between its legs. She cowered away from Claire, she must have felt so powerful.

"it was you all along." Claire scoffed.

"How the fuck didn't I recognize you?! You're a piece of shit May I cant believe I ever trusted you. Why'd you even talk to me huh??" Claire growled at her stepping closer as May backed off.

"I- I just wanted to get to know you..."

"That's why you were being a bitch to my girlfriend right... for your fucking social status. I didn't even wanna kiss you... Well I'd appreciate if you left me and my girlfriend alone and never talk to us again. " 

May didn't even speak in response, she just stared at Claire mouth wide open.

"bu-" she began

"No I don't wanna hear any of your bull shit excuses. Now get the fuck out" May scurried out of the door whimpering. Claire's heavy empty breaths filled the room.

Staring at Ezra, I noticed his shocked expression, his hands over his gaping mouth and his eyebrows raised. he glanced at me and tilted his head towards Claire gesturing for me to go up to her. 

I threw myself off the bed and ran over to her, gently grabbing her waist.

"hey Claire are you okay?" I said as softly as I could.

"yeah.. yeah I'm okay" she said panting.

"I-I'm so sorry Moon for... I didn't realize"

"it's okay... so does this mean we are?" I questioned

"yeah... lets start again" she smiled before crashing lips once again for a brief moment.

"hey uh... I don't mean to be rude and interrupt again but, we gotta move before Moons mum gets here." Ezra apologized.

"oh crap..." I said, running to the door to get my shoes on. I tore off my hospital gown and threw on a hoodie.

"lets bounce guys come on." Claire said

"lets go..."

*

After a brief talk with my the doctors they assessed me as being fit enough to leave the hospital as long as I was to stay warm. So obviously, we took this opportunity to leave the place as fast as possible before my mum was contacted. 

"oh by the way, we haven't actually got a way of getting back..." Ezra said as he slowed down his pace at the exit of the building.

"what do you mean?? how are we supposed to get back without a car or something... we cant walk-" I breathed heavily from anxiety and how fast we were pacing.

"Oh It's okay the bus take a direct route past my apartment... so we should take that" Claire stated much calmer than me and Ezra.

I dug my hand into each of my pockets shuffling around for any loose change which I would need for the bus, but my pockets were empty. Pulling out my empty hands I glanced down at them in disappointment, and then ack up to my friends who returned the worrying stare.

but when Claire reached into her pocket she found a fiver amongst some other loose pennies. We all collectively let out a sigh and began to briskly walk to the bus stop. 

The air was so crisp it crackled in my lungs as I took each breath, in a refreshing way, not a concerning way. Who knows what the time could be now, it was probably early morning knowing my luck and we would have to wait hours and hours for the next bus. The sky was dark and watched my breath float away each time I exhaled. I crossed my arms and folded them close to me for extra warmth. But then I felt an extra arm around my waist. I looked across to see Claire, her cheeks blushing red in the cold. I smiled, and nudged closer to her as she embraced me.

"I'm so glad to have my pretty girl back" Claire leans into my ear whispering softly, then kisses my gently on the cheek. 

I felt the blood rising to my cheeks, no longer feeling cold, but feeling so warm inside and all over. 

"I'm so glad to be back... to have you back-" I stuttered, fumbling over my words in a panic and confusion of what to say.

"-GUYS THE BUS IS RIGHT THERE" Ezra shouts and begins to run. For a second me and Claire break contact and start sprinting for the bus, we had no plans on waiting for the next on for another hour.

I'm panting like a dog and heavily too, but we make it to the stop and into the bus safely just in time before the doors seal shut. 

Holding Claire's hand, we all walk to the top deck of the bus and sit down, catching our breaths.

Finally, I am safe again.