twenty-eight

Moons pov (trigger warning arguments & Homophobia)
.

.

.

"Hello dear hope you, had... Fun at your friends house today love" my mum said, as she opened the car door for me to hop in. I nodded slightly in response. In fear that whatever I said would be used against me, I decided to stay quiet.

"Hmm, not too talkative today huh..." She pulled that usual face of hers, which made her look stupid.

"I'm tired" I said sternly.

"Hmm... I wonder why" she smirked. I had no idea what she was implying, but whatever it was I didn't like it.

Whilst I was at Claire's, my mum had called me insisting I came home at once. Of course I didn't want to, but she insisted she picked me up. It was rather suspicious, but she's always like that. She decided to pick me up right outside of Claire's driveway, and as I sat in the car... for a good while, she hadn't even started the ignition.

"Mum... Why haven't you started the car yet, you wanted me to come home so bad?" I asked her, a little puzzled and on edge.

"Oh Moon there's something I need to ask you about, but I couldn't let your father know about what I'm going to say though" she said with pride. But with those few words from her mouth, my heart sank, anticipating what she was going to say. But the car was still just outside Claire's apartment.

"Okay...."I mumbled.

"Could you explain... This picture please...." As she spoke she, flicked through her phone aggressively, preparing to show me a photo. And slowly she elevated the phone up to my face.

I zoomed in slightly to see the photo better and squinted my eyes, since the brightness was quite low, I could barely see. But I managed to make out  two petite figures holding hands in a rustic looking coffee shop.

Hm.... Why do I recognize that shop?

I asked myself, it looked so oddly familiar, but I just couldn't place it. And that's when I realised who the two people were.

I recognised the frizzy light brown hair which cascaded down Claire's back, and I saw the girl next to her in the photo. Wearing, an outfit which I knew it had. It was a picture of me and Claire standing near the cashier at the cafe we went on a date on recently, holding hands.

I didn't know what to say, I was in shock, I didn't want anyone to see that.

"Wh- whose that? I've never seen that photo before in my life..." Which was partially true, I had never seen that photo before in my life.

"Oh come on..." My mum looked at me, she could see right through my lies. I could never hide anything from her. Blinking, I tried my best to look unaware.

"Mum, what are you trying to imply... I don't understand?" I tried to seem as believable as I could, but I was really running out of ideas.

"Moon, I need you to tell the truth, this is you and Claire isn't it? If you admit to it I won't be angry" she said, in an understanding tone, which made me oddly suspicious.

"This...." I thought of what to say, did I lie or not. What if I lied, and she knew... I might be treated terribly. But if I do tell her and it was just her way of getting it out of me, I'll regret it big time.

"This isn't me..." I decided on saying. I tensed my stomach as I spoke those words in anticipation. But how could she know, it's just a back profile...right? I looked at my mum's hands, she clenched her right hand into a balled fist in frustration.