45. Unravel

"I should go," Cosette managed to find her voice and she stepped out of Elliot's grasp. She thought about reaching for the broom to hand to him, but the worry of it taking off on its own got to her and she left it on the ground.

"Thought you said you weren't tired?" He asked with a hint of a laugh before glancing at the watch on his wrist. "It is getting a little late, I should clean up and head out too."

"Do you need any help?" Cosette glanced around the field and she wasn't entirely sure where she could be of assistance but asking if he needed any seemed like the polite thing to do.

"No, no, don't worry," Elliot waved the offer away. "Give me five minutes and I'll take you home."

Cosette hadn't had a drink since before leaving the manor so she was more than fine to apparate on her own, "Oh, no it's okay. I can-"

"Cosette I won't be able to sleep tonight knowing I let a lass like yourself apparate home in the middle night," Elliot interjected. "Please just give me the peace of mind to see you get home safe."

He really was a gentleman. It might have been due to the five year age gap between them and maybe he felt the need to be protective, but Cosette admired that about him. She didn't get the feeling that he had any underlying intentions by offering to take her home and even if he did, Nick had already proven once today that he didn't have any problems beating up his own friends.

So Cosette nodded and sat on the bench and waited for him to finish cleaning up. She watched as a few simple charms sent all of the baseballs into a mesh bag and tidied up the bats and brooms that had been left out.

After he locked all of the equipment in one of the sheds, Elliot made his way back over to the bench and extended his hand out for her to grab.

"I could fly you home too if you'd prefer," he offered with a chuckle.

"I think I'm done with the brooms for tonight, but thank you," she declined with a smile that matched his. His hand slipped to her waist for a better grip and as she told him her address as he raised his wand to apparate them out of the pitch.

The two of them landed on her front step and Cosette frantically looked around to make sure that none of her neighbors had seen them arrive.

"This a muggle neighborhood?" Elliot asked when he noticed how stressed she had become in the last few seconds.

"Sure is," she nodded. "You could have apparated us inside, you know?"

"I was raised better than that," Elliot told her. "It's not polite to invite yourself into someone else's home. Magic or not, I still like to be respectful."

She was a little surprised at his response, but she really shouldn't have been. Since they first met, Elliot had been nothing short of courteous with her.

"Thank you," Cosette looked up at him and for a second, she thought about asking if he wanted to come inside, but it was pretty late and there was no reason for him to. "And thank you for trying to teach me how to fly. That's probably the closest anyone's ever gotten."

"Of course. Just let me know if you ever want another lesson," Elliot winked at her as he took a few steps back, raising his wand again. "Have a good night, O'Connor."

"You too," she said in return right as she reached for the door handle. She managed to catch Elliot's charming smile once last time before he disappeared off of her front step.

For some reason, she was sort of expecting to see Nick on her couch when she got inside. There was no doubt in her mind that he was going to confront her sooner or later about what she and Elliot got up to. Granted, they didn't actually do anything.