71. Family History

"You know, when I told you that you should tell people you're dating George, this isn't what I had in mind," Nick muttered under his breath as Cosette took it upon herself to put away the dishes that were left in the sink.

While her dad was doing significantly better, he was still instructed to take it easy. And with Nick not always home, the cleanliness of the house had started to take a negative toll.

"Should we hire him a housekeeper?" Cosette asked after putting a stack of bowls away, ignoring Nick's comments completely. With a heavy sigh, Nick put his feet up on the chair across from him and pulled out his wand. With a wordless charm and a specific flick, the dishes in the kitchen were floating through the air to their assigned spots in the cupboards.

"No," Nick responded flatly.

"Dad doesn't like it when you use magic for chores."

"I'm twenty-four years old," Nick scoffed. "He cannot control how and what I use magic for."

Cosette pressed her lips together, not able to come up with a response that would suffice. She leaned against the counter, but turned her head when she heard footsteps coming down the staircase.

"Setty!" The surprise in her dad's voice was evident. He hadn't expected to see her today. He engulfed her with a tight hug and it warmed Cosette's heart to know that he was on a good path to recovery.

"How are you doing?" She asked him as he sat down at the kitchen table beside Nick. Cosette put a pot of hot water on the stove to start making some tea, but she kept glancing over her shoulder as he spoke.

"Well considering I'm no longer mistaking my own son as your uncle I'd say I'm doing pretty well," Harris patted Nick on the shoulder and they shared a laugh. It was nice seeing that they were able to joke about something like that and that it didn't leave too much of a strain on their relationship.

"The Healers never really figured out what happened, did they?" Cosette asked, "Just another one of your episodes?"

"Appears so."

"I'm sure one day we'll figure it out," Cosette spoke optimistically. She really had no idea if they'd ever get to the bottom of what was wrong with her dad. She reached for an empty mug to start making the tea as Nick and him started their own conversation.

Cosette wasn't nervous to tell her dad about George, she just wasn't sure how he was going to take it. She wished that George could be here with her but there was still that slight worry that Harris would call him Fred and she wanted to avoid that.

Plus, George had to go back to work eventually. Even though George's absence from Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes was less than a week, it definitely was the longest he had ever been away from the store since they opened.

He didn't let her sleep alone though. After leaving the pub, George went straight to Cosette's place and that's when Cosette brought up Nick's idea of finally telling people. She didn't want to tell his family immediately, but starting with her own father wouldn't hurt, hopefully.

"Sets has some news!" Nick suddenly exclaimed, his voice so loud that Cosette flinched as she poured a spoonful of sugar into the mug. She turned around and sent daggers in Nick's direction. Apparently it was too much to ask for her to go about this her own way.

"News?" Her dad repeated. "Good or bad?"

"Good, definitely good," Nick answered for her and Harris had to shove his son to get him to close his mouth. He pulled out the chair across from Nick and encouraged her to sit down.