Changed

Kian’s POV

            I know it’s the next day, but what Earl said yesterday still stung. I know can’t do anything about...I…I just wished they were still here. I quickly wipe away the tears that were starting to form when I hear Ricky coming out of the bathroom and Cat coming out of her room. “You okay,” Ricky asks.

            “Yeah, I’m fine,” I say. “I’m just tired.”

            “Okay,” Ricky says. “So, how’s Cam? You didn’t say much when you got back.”

            “He’s fine, but…” I hesitate.

            “But what,” Ricky asks.

            “His relationship with Earl seems strained,” I say. “The instant he saw me and Cam in Cam’s room together, Earl’s expression changed instantly. Afterwards, he had this look of disgust and disappointment.”

            “Oh my,” Cat says walking over. “Anything else happen?”

            “I met his siblings,” I say. “They seemed really nice.”

            “And that bothers you,” Cat asks.

            “No, it’s just…” I stop. “It’s just I was starting to forget what it was like to be around a family.”

            “Kian, I’m so sorry,” Cat says.

            “It’s fine,” I say.

            “You’ll always have us,” Ricky says. “Me, Cat, Joey, Doug, Shelby, Andrea, Sawyer, and…Connor.”

            “There was that moment of hesitation with Connor again,” I thought to myself.

            “He’s right,” Cat says. “We’ll always be here for you. From now until the end.”

            “You’re right. Thank you,” I say.

            “There’s no need to thank us,” Ricky says and hugs me.

            I hug him back tightly and feel a few tears slip from my eyes. I love him so much, but…

            “Okay you two,” Cat says. “We better head out or you're are going to be late for work.”

            “Cat’s right,” I say quickly wiping tears from my eyes without them seeing again. “Let’s go.”

            “Are you sure,” Ricky says. “I can tell Earl you was feeling sick if you need to take a day off.”