Endgame

Cat’s POV

            “Joey, hurry,” I say.

            “I’m going as fast as I can,” Joey says back.

            Looking to the sky, I see smoke in the distance. My mind was in a panic. They only thing that I could think was, “Please be okay! Please!”

            We pull up to their place and the last of the flames were being extinguished by the fire department. There were people crowding around watching this horrific spectacle. I walk to a random watcher with her young daughter holding her hand. I ask, “Did the residents of the house get out okay?”

            “Those two young men,” the woman says. “They were taken to the local hospital.”

            A feel of relief instantly came over me. “Thank you,” I tell her. “You have no idea how much that relieves my panic.”

            “You’re welcome,” she says. “That boy was so courageous. He carried out his roommate out of the building all by himself. He’s a true hero. I wish I hadn’t turned away from him when I saw him the first time. He’s actually a great person.”

            RING RING
            I pull out my phone without looking who it was and answer it. “Hello,” I say.

            “Hey, Cat,” the person says.

            A sigh of relaxation came over me when I heard his voice. “Ricky, are you okay,” I ask.

            “I’m fine,” he says. “Connor’s fine too, miraculously. They said it was miracle that he was fine. He just needs to rest.”

            “Thank god,” I say. “You two had a guardian angel looking over you.”

            “Yeah, but I’m going to get off here,” he says.

            “Okay, Joey and I will be there in a few minutes,” I say.

            “Okay, I’ll see you then,” he says. “Bye.”

            “Bye,” I say and hang up the phone.

            I walk back to the car and get inside. “They’re fine,” I tell Joey. “They’re up at the hospital.”

            “Okay, let’s go,” Joey says.

            RING RING

            “Hello,” I say after pulling out my phone.