Deception is Key

Cat’s POV

            After we ate, we headed back to Connor and Ricky’s place. “Hey, do you want to go on and make our first video,” I ask the rest of them.

            “Sure, why not,” Ricky says.

            “So what should we do,” Connor asks.

            “How about we do a simple introduction to our channel,” Joey suggests.

            “Okay, that sounds good,” Ricky responds.

            We pull up to their house and shortly after park and head inside and go and sit on their comfy couch. “So whose camera are we using,” Joey asks.

            “How about mine,” Connor suggests.

            “Okay,” I say.

            Connor walks up to what I assume his room and came back with his camera and tripod. Connor hit the record button and then we were off.

            After about an hour of recording, we had what we need to make our video. Surprisingly, editing didn’t take that long. I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket. I pull it out and answer it. “Hello,” I say.

            “Hi, Cat,” the person says. “It’s me, Shane. Can we talk sometime tomorrow?”

            My eyes widen as I hear his voice. “I’ll be right back,” I tell Joey, Connor, and Ricky.

            I walk into the kitchen and say, “What do you want Shane?”

            “What? A friend can’t call a friend and see how they’re doing,” Shane says.

            “Not if the friend has other motives by doing so,” I say directly.

            “Oh Cat, I’ve missed that skepticism,” Shane says with a chuckle.

            “Well, you’ve never proven my skepticism wrong before,” I say. “Why should this be any different?”

            “Because, I’m a changed man,” Shane says genuinely. “Seriously, I’ve seen the error of my ways and all I’m trying to do is get my life back on track.”

            “Uh huh,” I say still skeptic of his response. “I’ve heard that before. Why should I believe you now?”

            “Fine,” Shane says. “If you meet with me tomorrow, I will prove to you that I truly have changed.”