Chapter 7 - Nick

I slowly open my eyes, noticing Steve was holding me in his lap. "Steve?" I look up.

"Hey...hey. It's okay." He sets me down in my own chair. "Look who's back from the dead." He points.

I run my eyes as I see Nick sitting across from us. "What the...heck." I say in shock.

"I know...I look beautiful."

"Um...well." I stop talking as Nat shakes her head. "Yeah." I awkwardly laugh.

Fury pulls out a photo, "This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize. He said, 'Peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility.' See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues."

"We have to stop the launch." I nod.

"I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore." Nick opens a case containing three chips.

"What's that?" Steve asks.

"Once the Helicarriers reach three thousand feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites becoming fully weaponized." Maria says.

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own." Nick nods.

Maria nods, "One or two won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational a whole lot of people are gonna die."

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is Hydra. We need to get pass them, insert the server blades, and maybe, just maybe, we can salvage what's left..."

Steve interrupts Nick, "We're not salvaging anything. We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick, we're taking down Shield."

"Shield had nothing to do with it." Nick shakes his head.

"That doesn't matter, Captain America said we are taking down Shield!" I slam my fist on the table.

"Thanks Y/N." He chuckles. "You gave me this mission, this is how it ends. Shield's been compromised, you said so yourself. Hydra grew right under your nose and nobody noticed."

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed." Nick says.

"And how many paid the price before you did?" Steve says.

"Look, I didn't know about Barnes."

"Even if you have, would you have told me? Or would you have compartmentalized that too? Shield, Hydra, it all goes." Steve nods.

"He's right." Maria says.

Fury looks at Natasha then Sam. "Don't look at me. I do what he does, just slower." Sam chuckles.

"Well... Looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain."

"That's what I thought." I point.

"You've been watching too many cop shows." Nat chuckles as Steve walks away.

When no one was looking I sneak outside, walking to a small bridge to see Steve lost in thought. Without thinking, I hug him. "Thanks Y/N. I needed that." He hugs me back.

"Would you like me to kiss you again. I heard that makes some men feel better." I smile.

"No it's okay...I'm okay. Promise me you won't go kissing random people." He chuckles.

"I promise."

He nods. "Y/N....what happened earlier?"

"I have no idea." I sigh and sit on the ledge of the bridge. "When I looked into his eyes...I felt something I've never felt before. I can't explain it."

"A connection?" He asks.

"I think so. I know that he felt it too." I smile. "It felt like I've known him all my life....I think my emotions were so strong..that it made me pass out." I shrug.

"He's a good man....I don't really know why he's like this." Steve leans against the ledge next to me. "You would of loved him, in the forties." He smiles to himself. "Bucky is my family....the only family I have left."

"Hey that's not true..." I grab his hand. "Your my family." I smile.

Steve squeezes my hand, "Family."

"I'll help you bring him back." I nod.

"He's gonna be there, you know?" Sam suddenly says from beside us.

"I know."

"Look, whoever he used to be, the guy he is now, I don't think he's the kind you save. He's the kind you stop." Sam says.

"I don't know if I can do that."

"Well, he might not give you a choice. He doesn't know you." Sam sighs.

Steve nods, "He will. Gear up, it's time." Steve turns and starts to walk off.

"You gonna wear that?"

"No. If you're gonna fight a war, you gotta wear a uniform."