Chapter 37 - End of the Flag Smashers

Bucky and I arrived in Manhattan, the Flag Smashers had taken control over the GRC meeting.

"I'm almost there." Sam says over our radio as we walk through the crowd.

"What's the plan?" I ask.

"Karli's gotta be close. Keep your eyes open."

"Well, it could be anybody." Bucky says as we walk past an officer.

"Sergeant Barnes." He nods.

"And by the way, I called in some backup." Sam says.

"Excuse me, sir. Are you supposed to be here?" We turn to see a man. He reaches up and taps the side of his head, pulling off an illusion to reveal Sharon. "It's me."

"Sharon, what the hell are you doing here?" Bucky asks.

"Relax. No one's looking for me here."

"Is that Sharon?" Sam asks.

"Unfortunately." Bucky sighs.

"Hey, Sam. I thought I'd get the band back together."

"Thank you. You're risking a lot coming here." Sam says.

"I hear pardons aren't all they're cracked up to be."

"Depends on the therapist." Bucky nods.

"They'll move on the building soon. Be ready." I follow behind the two as we walk towards the building, I stop and look around confused. "Guy's what's going on on your end?" Sam asks.

"Nothing. All quiet."

I look around and try to listen inside. "Wait Sam...Karli's not coming in. She's trying to force everybody out." I say. "It's a misdirect....We gotta keep everybody inside."

"You guys are gonna have to do something. Don't let 'em out of the building."

We rush inside, stopping as the metal detectors beep at Bucky's arm. "Oops." Sharon shrugs.

"Here's one of them." Bucky points. "We'll get the evac." He points to me.

We split up from Sharon, walking over to the stairs as a woman approaches us. "Mr. Barnes, it's Karli."

Bucky looks at me and puts it on speakerphone. "Karli?"

"Aren't you tired of fighting for the wrong side Mr. Barnes?

Bucky scoffs. "I've done this before, kid. I know how it ends."

"It doesn't matter if I don't survive this. I'm fighting for something bigger than myself. With all the bodies you've collected, have you been able to say the same?"

"You don't think I ever fought for something bigger than myself? That's all I ever tried to do. And I failed twice....You think your cause justifies all this death, but in the end, the nightmares won't go away. You're gonna remember all the ones you killed. Trust me. Don't do this. Don't go down this path." Bucky says.

"If that's how you feel, you should sit this one out."

Bucky sighs, "Come on, you know I ain't gonna do that."

"Well, thank you. I'm glad you took my call. You've been a big help."

Bucky looks at me, "Damn it!" I mentally curse at myself for becoming distracted, worried for Bucky's safety.

We run into the parking garage, passing Sharon. "Seriously, guys, you had one job."

Bucky gets on a motorcycle. "You worry about your guy."