Chapter 32 - Donya Madani

I was sitting next to Sam in the small kitchen as Zemo walks out in a robe when Bucky walks in.

"Well, the Wakandans are here. They want Zemo. Bought us some more time." He joins Sam and I.

"Were you followed?" I ask.

"No."

"How can you be so sure?" Zemo walks up.

"Cause I know when I'm being followed." He rolls his eyes.

"It was sweet of you to defend me at least."

"Hey, you shut it. No one's defending you. You killed Nagel." Sam points.

"Do we really have to litigate what may or may not have happened?"

"There's nothing to litigate. You straight shot the man." Sam says.

"Guys." Bucky looks up from his phone. "Karli bombed a GRC supply depot."

"What? What's the damage?" Sam asks.

"Eleven injured, three dead. They have a list of demands and are promising more attacks if those demands aren't met in full." Bucky nods. Sam sighs.

"She's getting worse. I have the will to complete this mission. Do the three of you?" Zemo asks.

"She's just a kid." Sam sighs.

"You're seeing something in her that isn't there. You're clouded by it. She's a supremacist. The very concept of a Super Soldier will always trouble people. It's that warped aspiration that led to Nazis, to Ultron, to the Avengers."

"Hey, those're our friends you're talking about." I point.

"The Avengers, not the Nazis." Bucky nods.

"So, Karli is radicalized, but there has to be a peaceful way to stop her. The desire to become a superhuman cannot be separated from supremacist ideals. Anyone with that serum is inherently on that path. She will not stop. She will escalate until you kill her. Or she kills you."

"Maybe you're wrong, Zemo. The serum never corrupted Steve." Sam says.

"Touché. But there has never been another Steve Rogers, has there?"

"Well, maybe we should give him to the Wakandans right now." Sam looks up.

"And you'll give up your tour guide?"

"Yes." I nod as Bucky sits on the couch.

"From my understanding, Donya is like a pillar of the community, right? So, when I was a kid, my TT passed away." Sam says.

"Your TT?" Bucky asks.

"Yeah, my TT, yeah."

"Who is your TT?" Bucky narrows his eyes.

"His aunt." I nod, Bucky looks over at me as I sit by him. "What? I lived with him for like two years." I shrug.

"When I was a kid, my aunt passed away and the entire neighborhood got together for a ceremony. It was like a week long. Maybe they're doing the same thing for Donya."

"Worth a shot." Bucky nods.

"Your TT would be proud of you. Turkish delight? Irresistible."

The four of us walk together...hoping to find out any clues. "Shame what's become of this place. When I was young, we used to come here for fabulous dinners and parties. I knew nothing of the politics of the time, of course, but I remember it being beautiful." Zemo nods.

"I'm gonna take a look around upstairs. See what you can find out here. And keep an eye on him." Sam points and walks off.

"I'll stay out of your way." Zemo holds his hands up.

I walk over to a small group of women, "Hello....I was wondering if you know who Donya Madani is?" I smile. The women whisper and quickly walk away. "Okay then...." I walk over to a man sitting alone, "Hi. Do you-" the man gets up and walks off.

After walking around for a bit, I meet back up with Bucky. "Nothing?"

"No they keep walking away." I sigh, looking to see Zemo sitting with kids.

Sam soon joins us and sighs. "It's starting to feel like a dead end."

"The hell is he doing?" Bucky nods at Zemo.

Soon he looks back at us and then back to a little girl.
He puts out the Turkish Delights and walks up to us and smiles, "Cute kids."

Zemo immediately goes to the small kitchen when we get back as The three of us sit down. "Well, I got nothin'. No one's talkin' about Donya." Bucky sighs.

"Yeah, it's because Karli is the only one fighting for them. And she's not wrong." Sam nods.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"For five years, people have been welcomed into countries that have kept them out using barbwire. There were houses and jobs. Folks were happy to have people around to help them rebuild.
It wasn't just one community coming together, it was the entire world coming together. And then, boom. Just like that, it goes right back to the way it used to be. To them, at least Karli's doin' somethin'." Sam says.

"You really think her ends justify her means?" Bucky asks. "That, she's no different than him or anybody else we've fought."

"She's different. She's not motivated by the same things." Sam shakes his head.

Bucky's eyes narrow as Zemo walks up, "That little girl....What'd she tell you?"

"The funeral is this afternoon."

"You know the Dora's coming for you any minute. In fact, they're probably lurking outside right now. Keep talking." Bucky points.

"Leaving you to turn on me once we get to Karli. Hmm. I prefer to keep my leverage."

Bucky stands and grabs the cup in Zemo's hand, smashing it against the wall. "You wanna see what someone can do with leverage?"

"Take it easy. Don't engage him." Sam jumps up. "He's just gonna extort you and do that stupid head tilt thing. Let me make a call." Sam walks off.

"You want some cherry blossom tea?" Zemo smiles.

I stand and grab Bucky's hand, "No, you go ahead." Bucky growls as I pull him away.

"Hey....I know he's irritating but...calm down." I grab his face with my hands. "This will all be over soon...he will go back to jail. We won't have to see him ever again." I smile. "It's okay." I whisper.

"Where have you been all my life?" He smiles.

"Waiting."