Chapter 22 - Home

It's been two long years since the Avengers split.

I went and saw Peter and May when I could, I even visited Bucky in Wakanda for a month.

I missed him terribly.

My nightmares have gotten worse over the years......Steve was always first to help me. It got to the point where we stayed in the same room.

Steve had gotten a call from Bruce....now we needed to find Vision and Wanda. There was something going on with the Infinity Stones and a guy named Thanos.

Sam and I swoop down together in the train station and both kick the female alien back.

I smile at him and flip down, blasting the male one in the stomach.
He falls back and holds onto his bleeding stomach. Sam kicks the female down, she slides next to him, "Get up."

"I can't."

"We don't wanna kill you. But we will." Nat smirks.

"You'll never get the chance again." The two are suddenly beamed up into a ship, the weapon in Steve's hand flies up.

"Can you stand?" Sam asks Vision, helping him up.

Electricity shimmers over his surface, and his voice distorts. "Thank you, Captain."

Steve nods, "Let's get you on the jet."

Sam and I get Vision on the Jet, Nat turns and shuts the Ramp, addressing Wanda and Vision. "I thought we had a deal. Stay close, check in. Don't take any chances."

"I'm sorry. We just wanted time." She nods, looking up as I softly rub the side of her face, smiling.

"Where to, Cap?" Sam asks from the pilots seat.

Steve looks over at me and sighs. "Home."

———————————

The flight didn't take long. I felt sick as we walking into the Compound for the first time in two years. We find Rhodey talking to a hologram of Secretary Ross.

"Mr. Secretary." Steve nods.

"You got some nerve. I'll give you that." Ross steps up.

"You could use some of that right now." I smirk.

"The world's on fire. And you think, all is forgiven?"

"I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking for permission. Earth just lost her best defender. So we're here to fight." Steve takes a step forward, looking right at Ross. "And if you wanna stand in our way....we'll fight you, too." Steve nods.

Ross turns to Rhodey. "Arrest them."

"All over it." He swipes off the hologram; the computer beeps twice. "That's a court-martial. It's great to see you, Cap."

"You too, Rhodey." He hugs him. Rhodey steps up and Hugs Nat, then me.

"Well. You guys really look like crap. Must've been a rough couple of years." He chuckles.

"Yeah, well, the hotels weren't exactly five star." Sam shrugs.

"Uh, I think you look great." We look over to see Rhodey, "Uh... heh...Yeah. I'm back."

"Hi, Bruce." Nat slightly smiles.

"Nat."

"This is awkward." Sam whispers.

"This is indeed Awkward." I say loudly, Sam's eyes widen as he looks at me.

We all walk to a different room and sit down. "So we gotta assume they're coming back, right?" Rhodey asks.

"And they can clearly find us." Wanda nods.

"We need all hands on deck. Where's Clint?" Bruce asks.

"After the whole Accords situation, he and Scott took a deal. It was too tough on their families, they're on house arrest." Nat nods.

"Who's Scott?"

"Ant-Man." I smile.

"There's an Ant-Man and a Spider-Man? Okay, look...Thanos has the biggest army in the universe. And he is not gonna stop until he...he gets...Vision's Stone."

"Well then, we have to protect it." Nat says.

"No, we have to destroy it. I've been giving a good deal of thought to this entity in my head, about its nature. But also, its composition. I think if it were exposed to a sufficiently powerful energy source, something, very similar to its own signature, perhaps... its molecular integrity could fail." Vision addresses Wanda as he nears her.

"And you, with it. We're not having this conversation." Wanda shakes her head.

"Eliminating the stone is the only way to be certain that Thanos can't get it." Vision nods.

"That's too high a price."

Vision takes her face gently in both hands. "Only you have the power to pay it." Wanda walks away, distressed. "Thanos threatens half the Universe. One life cannot stand in the way of defeating him."

"But it should." Steve ooks up at Vision. "We don't trade lives, Vision."

"Captain, 70 years ago, you laid down your life to save how many millions of people. Tell me, why is this any different?"

Steve takes a breath, but before he has a chance to answer, Bruce speaks. "Because you might have a choice. Your mind is made up of a complex construct of overlays. Jarvis, Ultron, Tony, Y/N, me, the Stone. All of them mixed together. All of them learning from one another."

"You're saying Vision isn't just the stone?" Wanda asks.

"I'm saying that if we take out the stone, there's still a whole lot of Vision left. Perhaps the best parts." He nods.

"Can we do that?" Nat asks.

"Not me. Not here." Bruce shakes his head.

"You better find someone, and somewhere fast. Ross isn't exactly just gonna let you guys have your old rooms back." Rhodey crosses his arms.

Steve looks over at me. "We know somewhere."