Chapter 17 - Bucky

Sam and I joined Steve at the funeral in London, I was holding his hand through the service.

"And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words." The priest Steps aside.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of Shield....but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy. She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related. I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. And she said, compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move....it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in they eye and say No, you move."

After the service, Sam and I stayed together as Steve walked Sharon to the elevator of her hotel. I had decided not to sign because I trust and agree with Steve.

Sam nudges me and shows me his phone, "Let's go." He pulls me with him and we interrupt the two. "Steve. There's something you gotta see."

Sharon leads us to her room and we watch the news as she paces on the phone.

"A bomb hidden in a news van ripped through the UN building in Vienna. More than 70 people have been injured. At least 12 are dead, including Wakanda's King T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of a suspect who they have identified as James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter Soldier. The infamous Hydra agent, linked to numerous acts of terrorism and political assassinations."

Sharon steps up to us, "I have to go to work."

Sharon gave us Bucky's location and the three of us fly to Bucharest.

Sam stayed outside to watch as Steve and I entered Bucky's apartment

I walk around, finding a notebook with tabs in it. He wrote about Steve. When I turn to the last page there was a drawing of an eye and Angel wings. And poems.

It was me.

I smile, knowing he felt something too.

"Heads up, guys. German Special Forces, approaching from the south." Sam says.

"Understood." Steve says. We turn to see Bucky, "Do you know me?"

"You're Steve. I read about you in a museum."

"They've set the perimeter." Sam says in our earpiece.

"I know you're nervous. And you have plenty of reason to be. But you're lying." Steve says.

"I wasn't in Vienna. I don't do that anymore."

"They're entering the building." Sam says.

"Well, the people who think you did are coming here now. And they're not planning on taking you alive." I say cautiously.

"That's smart. Good strategy."

"They're on the roof. I'm compromised." Sam says.

"This doesn't have end in a fight, Buck." Steve shakes his head.

Bucky takes off his glove, "It always ends in a fight."

"5 seconds."

"You pulled me from the river. Why?" Steve asks urgently.

"I don't know." Bucky shakes his head, his eyes lock on mine.

"3 seconds!"

"Yes, you do." Steve nods.

"Breach! Breach! Breach!" A grenade crashes through the window. Bucky kicks it to Steve, and he smothers it with his shield.

Bucky shields himself with the mattress against an attack from the window. He blocks the door with a table as cops swing in on cables. Steve pulls the rug from under a policeman, sending him flying. Bucky slams another policeman into the wall.

"Buck, stop! You're gonna kill someone."

Bucky slams Steve down and punches a hole in the floor. "I'm not gonna kill anyone." He pulls out a backpack and throws it outside. My wing spread as more cops crash inside. I fly over to Bucky and face him, covering us with my wings as the cops shoot. His breathing quickens as he looks down at me, we were only inches apart.

"Bucky..." I whisper, frowning as I continue to get shot at.

I kick off his chest and flip back, tripping the cops with my wings and breaking their guns. I look up to see Bucky leaving.

I dive out the window as I see him jumping down below, I fly above as I see a man in black attacking Bucky. I dive down and blast him aside. We look up as a helicopter comes and starts shooting at us.

Bucky kneels down as my wings cover him, "Sam!" I yell.

"Got him." He kicks the chopper aside. I fly over to the man in black and kick him aside, letting Bucky escape.

The man leaps over me and slides down after Bucky.

I fly down as Steve gets into a car and chases after Bucky. "I can't shake this guy." Steve says.

"Right behind you." I fly down onto his car as the man was holding on.

I kick his face, making him almost fall off. The man leaps back up and tackles me, his claws come out and try to slash my chest. I hold his wrists above me and hiss through my teeth. His left hand comes down and slashes my right side from my forehead, across my eye to my chin. I kick him off of me, making him grab onto Sam as he flies by.

"Y/N!" Sam yells.

I hold onto my face as it bleeds and dive off the car, sliding across the ground as the underpass exit explodes.

I choose not to fight as the cops surround us. Bucky stares at me in horror as he sees I'm bleeding.

"Stand down, now." Rhodey lands down and aims at us. "Congratulations, Cap. You're a criminal. "

We were cuffed and put in the back of a truck with the man who slashed my face. It was T'Challa.

"So, you like cats?" Sam asks.

"Sam." Steve sighs.

"What? Dude shows up dressed like a cat and you don't wanna know more?"

"Your suit.....it's Vibranium?" Steve asks.

"The Black Panther has been the protector of Wakanda for generations. A mantle, passed from warrior to warrior. And now, because your friend murdered my father, I also wear the mantle of king. So, I ask you......as both warrior and king....how long do you think you can keep your friend safe from me?"