Chapter 1: Thunder Overhead

I woke up with a start, alert at the sudden harsh thunder vibrating against the carriage window. I sat up to take off my glasses and looked out the window. Purple clouds tiptoed over my head and another lightning bolt cracked in the sky simultaneously.

"Have a good sleep? Yknow, I could've sworn I overheard you mumbling in your sleep." The man in the driver's seat teased.

I blew my breath on my glasses and began to clean them carefully. I haven't had the time to purchase a new pair in the last few months. Procrastination after procrastination, I convinced myself that it be better if I managed my finances. Ghost hunting certainly lacked employment but it didn't mean that the job was a sinecure.

"I could've sworn I paid you good money to limit the interaction, Duke. We aren't friends. Now, keep your eyes on the road, will you?" I put my round-shaped glasses on my face, not sparing Duke a glance.

"Whatever you say, miss."

Some minutes passed. Nothing except the harsh wind, rain, and occasional thunder fill the silence.

Duke shifted in his seat, maintaining control along the rocky path. "I apologize for intruding on your affairs, but..."

I huffed and gave him my full attention in the rearview mirror, crossing my arms with an expected look on my face.

Duke continued. "...What is it exactly people like you do for a living?"

"I'm a paranormal investigator. Most of the time, I spend my hours in the office to make sure that the rest of my team doesn't partake in anything without state approval."

Duke kept his eyes on the road, furrowing his brows. "Uhuh. I see...You said 'team'. Where are they, shouldn't they be accompanying you?"

"It's complicated. Our company has been on...thin ice after an incident that occurred three years ago. Time is thin. We all knew having several people on this case would be too risky. So I volunteered myself to go on my own. Took plenty convincing, but...here I am."

Another thunderbolt cracked. I adjusted the ring on my right thumb and took a deep breath.

"And you are aware of the history around here?" Duke asked.

"Of course I am. George made sure of it."

Duke tilted his head. "Do I need to know who that is?"

"No. In fact, I specifically ordered you to limit the chit chat." I crossed my leg over the other and looked out the window beside me. Old fashioned buildings appeared in the pitch black outside.

I tapped the window. "People still live here? There's barely any light."

"It's a village, Miss Dalton. An old one, at that. They do not find modern technology to be of much use to them. They get by well...as well as they can be."

I tilted my chin up a bit, an idea coming to mind. Duke noticed and shook his head.

"No. They don't sit right with tourists. They despise them. You being an American girl makes it worse. So please, Miss...don't interrogate them."

A muffled noise emitted from a bag below my feet. I sighed and did a quick stretch before throwing the bag on my lap. I took out my walkie-talkie and sprung the antenna up.

"Dalton speaking." I said in a sarcastic tone.

"Aria. Tell me your whereabouts." A stern voice cracked in the speaker.

"Passing through an old village. I should be close to my destina-"

"The case has been put on hold. Tell Duke to turn back. Now."