Chapter 13: Hung Up

I slowly moved my hands towards my pocket, making contact with the grip of the gun. 

The Lady turned to close the doors, allowing me to shoot her in the waist as she turned back around. She stared at the prong for a few seconds before shooting her glare towards me. Silence filled the castle.

I took a step backward, taking my hands off of the gun. "...Sorry..."

"You know it's rude to attack your..." She yanked the prong out and tossed it on the floor. "-...Mistress."

I choked on the fear in the back of my throat. "I-I'm so s-sorry, it w-wasn't my intention to kill you-"

"Drop your weapon." She raised her voice menacingly.

I set the rapier carefully on the floor and returned to my original position.

"Your other weapon." 

I pulled the gun out from my pocket getting ready to set it beside the rapier. She gripped my wrist and snatched it from my grasp, throwing my arm back down.

"Your modern technology grows increasingly diminutive by the minute. Daughters!"

Buzzing erupted from the ceiling and upon the floor. They flew around for a couple of seconds until each swarm transformed into the three sisters, Cassandra and Daniela at my sides, Bela standing next to the Lady, arms folded behind her back. Daniela seemed nervous. 

"Yes, Mother?" The three of them said in unison.

"Explain to me why this thing is roaming the halls at this time of night, unattended?" The Lady shot Bela an angered look.

The sisters exchanged glances at each other for a moment before Cassandra and Bela realized that it was Daniela who was at fault...or they simply shifted the blame onto the youngest. 

"I'm waiting." The Lady snapped.

Daniela played with the hem of her dress, avoiding her sisters' death glare. "Well, Mother, I..."

"Speak up."

"I may have let the pet out...But it was only because I needed help with something!" 

"Help? With what?"

"There was a mess on the third floor. I needed an extra maid to clean it up."

"There should be plenty of maids out in the halls, Daniela. The ones who have accessed permission."

"Cassandra slaughtered them all!" Daniela shot her finger at the middle sister.

"What!? No, I didn't!" She growled.

"You're always ripping the new ones' throats out the second you see them! Irresponsible if you ask me."

"I'm not the one who snogs them in the supply closet-"

"ENOUGH!" The Lady bellowed. "If you two cannot control yourselves then I will have no choice but to enforce a strict diet! I am already in enough trouble with Mother Miranda because of you girls. Behave and act your age--am I clear!?"

"Yes, Mother." They obeyed.

The Lady sighed, regaining her composure. "Lucky for you three, I caught the thing making a run for it." She stated with her eyes closed. "Bela."

"Mother?"

"Even though you failed to keep your reckless sisters on alert, I will give you permission to declare the invertebrate's fate."

Bela bowed her head. "Thank you, Mother."

The eldest trailed closer towards me, taking in all of my features. She gave me a look that read 'You're going to pay for causing so much trouble.' before asserting her proposal.