Chapter 8: Mother Dearest

The evening came. Simultaneously, all of the torches throughout the castle lit up. Zara and I entered the large kitchen to have our meal, which was bustling with staff. As I watched maids coming in and out of the kitchen, something surprised me.

They were laughing. 

I smiled at the sight. It was good to know that the staff wasn't always quiet and reserved. Don't take me wrong, it was perfectly understandable, as the rules were strict and the atmosphere was always silent and gloomy. If they were at ease, then I was at ease.

Zara nudged me and walked me to an empty table. A maid approached our table almost instantly and set down two bowls of hot stew, along with several sliced baguettes. 

"Thank you, Therese." Zara said.

Therese nodded and walked away.

"Who was that?" I asked.

"Therese. She's a very kind person."

I hummed, prodding the stew with my fork. "This smells mouthwatering. Beef stew?"

"Rabbit." Zara said while chewing.

I paused. "... Oh."

"What's wrong? Are you a vegetarian?" 

I chuckled, shaking my head. "No. Just never had rabbit before. I'm not sure if I'd like it."

"Aren't you hungry, though?"

After a long moment of contemplation, I began eating and didn't stop until I cleared my bowl.

Zara gazed at me as I made my way to the sliced bread, practically stuffing them into my mouth, not letting a single crumb escape. 

I pointed at the last two. "Are you going to eat that?" I asked apologetically.

"Go ahead. You need it more than I do."

Once I was finished eating, I apologized. Zara only laughed.

"So... you're gonna be the Lady's maiden?" 

"It isn't set in stone, but yes, I suppose."

"Explain maiden to me. Do you have to follow the same set of rules? Do you have a different uniform?"

"I'm not sure. All I know is that you're supposed to be near the Lady at all times."

"Are you excited?"

"Why would I be excited?" 

"You wouldn't have to worry about being killed."

Zara shrugged, mixing her remaining stew. "I don't remember you telling me your name."

"It's Aria."

"How did you get here, Aria?" She asked quietly, staring intently into her bowl.

"I got kidnapped and was entered into a... game. I guess I won and-"

"ALCINA!! WHERE ARE YOU, YOU FUCKING THIEF!!" A voice boomed throughout the castle.

The staff stopped talking and peered out of the hallway. 

"Who's Alci..." I asked, not trying to pronounce the name correctly.

"The Lady. Come on, let's get a closer look." 

Zara and I slipped out of the kitchen through a different exit and stalked the angry voice down the hallway and into the main lobby, where a man was arguing with Bela and Cassandra. A familiar-looking man, at that. It was Heisenberg.