Chapter 7: Deal Or No Deal

Lady Dimitrescu sighed and fixed her hat, glaring at me out of the corner of her eye. I swear on my life, she gets taller every day. I had bumped right into her legs...and crotch.

"Lady-I mean Mistress, I'm sorry I didn't see you."

"Shouldn't you be on the third floor, fetiță?" It was more of a demand than a question.

"Oh, um, well, it's a long story-"

"Explain."

I played with my fingers, glancing up at the paintings beside us, trying to be careful with my word choice. "Well, the maid I was with got injured so she's getting patched up."

The Lady frowned. She looked concerned. Should I be surprised? 

"Injured?"

"Yes, Mistress. She didn't tear a limb or anything, but she got scratched up pretty bad."

"How did it happen?" She demanded, her voice cold and rigid.

"We were talking and...Cassandra came in and cut her face."

She murmured something under her breath. Her eyes looked as if they were in flames. Why was she so bothered by this?

"And what are you doing now?" She asked, her tone back to normal as if nothing happened.

"Daniela asked me to take care of something in the library, so I'm heading there now, Mistress."

"What exactly does she need you to take care of?" 

Shit. How was I supposed to explain to the Lady that I'm hunting for ghosts? 

'Oh, nothing much, mistress. Just hunting for the lost souls that Daniela gruesomely murdered.'

"Uh... she asked me if I could get rid of some... ghosts."

She stared at me half-lidded as if I was the dumbest person alive. I averted my gaze and played with the loose thread on my uniform.

The Lady sighed and rubbed her forehead. "Come with me." She strode past me and down the long corridor, not casting a glance at me to see if I was following. And I was.

She opened both large metal doors to her quarters and walked inside, throwing her hat on the bed. I was amazed at how strong she was. Sure, the nine-foot perk definitely pays off, but I never had the chance to observe her physical capabilities. I was already aware that the Lady and her daughters were not human. This may sound crazy, but I wasn't quite sure how I felt about it. I suppose I freaked out enough back at the church when I saw those talking creatures, but...I had no idea what to make of the situation. I guess I was just numb. It was as if the logical side of my brain switched off. I wasn't as scared as I was supposed to be. Did the family notice how surprisingly calm and collected I've been, even though this is only my second day here? This is probably some sort of phase that I'm going through, and that I'll scream and run away the moment the phase is over. I hope not.

But the Lady did scare me the most. I don't think I've heard her threaten or yell at staff. Her eyes were so ethereal and intimidating. She gets her point across and no one questions her. Not like they'd still be alive if they did. I grounded myself back to reality and saw her pouring a glass of wine at one of the tables. 

"Are you just going to stand there, copil prost?" She snapped.

I jumped at the sudden aggression in her voice. I sat down on a chair nearest to me.