Chapter 32: ABCDZ

Alcina and Zara made a brief departure to their meeting, all the while leaving the daughters and myself by ourselves with seemingly nothing to do. That is until Bela was the one who had an idea. She didn't need to say much for her sisters to begin grinning like wolves, Cassandra's fingers tapping against the brick fireplace, the lit embers dissolving into nothingness once it made contact with the cold floor. Winter wasn't here just yet, however, a rainstorm had brewed; crispy air crept up on the sisters each day. It made Bela fidget the most, I had never seen the blonde uncomfortable before. She would likely tear my head off for saying this, but it made me like her a little bit more, knowing that my predatory friend possessed fear much like any human being. I didn't comment on the times where I would catch her inching closer to the fire when the weather would grow slightly colder.

"So..." I started, folding my hands across my lap, sitting across the fire. "What are we doing today?"

"There's a game we like to play with the..." Bela paused, eyeing my expression carefully. "--guests."

Cassandra snorted at this, pulling her hood over her head.

I didn't necessarily react so she continued.

"Hide and go seek." 

"With blood." Dani and Cassandra added simultaneously.

I frowned. "Yeah..?"

"We don't have to play it if you don't want to."

Daniela's eyes pleaded with mine.

"How does it go?"

"Simple. Regular rules apply, but that's when the best part comes. The one hiding is to draw blood from the seekers' preferable place. We tend to have them prick their finger for the first round, then if we want to make things more challenging, we have them cut their arm. They have two hundred seconds to find somewhere to hide and then we commence. The winner gets the prey...We'll mend that part."

"The prey must be the one to cut their skin--to make sure that both sides are... challenged." Cassandra stated.

"Alright... How long does the person have to last for them to win?"

They furrowed their brows in confusion.

"Seriously? How is this fair?"

"It isn't supposed to be. We have our fun then move on. If you don't like it, don't play it!" Cassandra mouthed the last sentence with degradation, peering down at me with a sense of superiority.

It was obvious she wanted an opportunity to hurt me, I knew she was keen on the idea. I accepted the challenge, earning an excited giggle from the redhead as well as a smirk from Bela. 

She tapped her chin then nodded notedly. "Very well... let's go over the rules." 

Zara finger-traced circles among the table as she let her head rest, staring at the near-broken tree branch striking the window, cold water rushing down the glass. Similar to every visit, Alcina left to take care of 'Vital tasks.', ordering the young girl to remain in the room until she returned for her, no matter what things she 'thought' she heard. But Zara wasn't stupid, she knew what happened within the sanctuary: Interrogations. She had been in the room for three hours and was beginning to grow concerned. Had something happened? 

Zara approached the door when it opened. 

"Oh...Hello, Lady Beneviento." She backed away from the dark figure to give them space.