Chapter 26: May I?

We had made it back in the late evening, where the heavy rain had returned along with occasional thunder.

"Here we are, my lady! Castle Dimitrescu." The Coachman opened the door, the Lady stepping out and wasting no time on entering the castle. He lifted me out and wished me a good night before returning to his seat and riding out of the castle, disappearing into the fog and darkness of the road.

We only made it into the main hall when a parade of flies flew around our heads before transforming into Bela and Daniela.

"Mother. How was it?" Bela asked.

"Stagnant. One of the Raiders was caught."

The daughters grew excited and followed the Lady down the hall, Daniela trying her very hardest not to pounce on her mother. I followed at a distance, too lost in my thoughts to pay much mind to their conversation.

"Who, Mother?"

"Paylor Bundin. A scout, a low one at that."

"Did you kill him?" Daniela asked, sounding a bit hesitant and pouty.

"No. Mother Miranda did the opposite, she healed him and locked him in the cellar."

"Why would she do that?" Bela raised her voice. "Doesn't she know what those Raiders have been doing to us?"

"Mother Miranda knows more than any of us about these humans' intentions, daughter. Don't question her level of awareness."

"Sorry, Mother. It's just shocking to hear."

"As for me. However, she knows what's best for us. She would never put our survival in danger."

"Is there anything we can do for you then, Mother?"

"Tell a maid to bring food to my quarters. For the mutt."

Bela nodded, turning in the opposite direction. "And for you?"

"I won't need a meal brought to me."

I caught Bela looking in my direction before she nodded one last time, nudging Daniela to follow as they quietly bickered once they walked away.

The rest of the walk was silent, the Lady never took a single glance in my direction to at least make sure that I was following closely. It made me uncomfortable. Yes, every time the Lady's cold eyes would land on me I would feel intimidated and self-conscious, but this felt different. I wanted her to look at me and notice the anger boiling at the pit of my stomach just for her to see, the voice in my throat screaming to be let loose...and I just wanted her to look at me. What are you thinking, Aria? You're supposed to be angry.

We entered her quarters, the Lady took her accessories off and set them upon her vanity, sitting down herself while letting out an exasperated sigh, rubbing her temples for a few moments, lighting her cigarette the next few moments, then taking an inhale after some time.

Silence.

"My collar." I said, staring at her through the mirror.

"What of it?"

I clenched my jaw. "Take it off."

The Lady stiffened at this, still refusing to look at me. But her voice cut through my ears like a cold knife. "What did you say?"

I wanted to say, "TAKE IT OFF!", instead I stuttered, "Take...Take i-it off." Great job, Aria, you're ever so intimidating.

"Sit down and be silent. I don't want to hear you."