Chapter 12: Bury A Friend

Even though there was no one in sight, I took secluded paths within the castle, slipping into tight dark spaces whenever I heard light footsteps. I knew where the library was since I typically pass by whenever I follow Zara to replace the cleaning supplies. 

I had reached the west wing of the castle, where the library was located. I was able to see the large wooden doors across the hall, a few meters away. I was about to walk out of the corner when I heard footsteps. I backed up against the wall, holding my breath and closing my eyes, assuming that would be enough to get rid of whoever was walking by. The footsteps stopped a bit past the wall I was crammed against.

"What has gotten into you!?" A voice asked. "Have you no ounce of guilt or consideration? You know Mother will-"

"Don't tell me what Mother will or won't do, Bela, I already know." Another voice snapped.

I peeked my head around the corner.

"Nothing has changed, Cassandra. You're only trying to wreak havoc because you feel powerless. You say you're trying to make things the way they used to be, yet I don't even see the flaws you're talking about."

 "And what happens when that girl gets in her head-"

"It's Mother's decision who she makes a Maiden. Not ours. After all, Maidens have one purpose. It's not like she's going to fall in love with them." Bela snickered.

Sensing Cassandra's stubbornness and disapproval, Bela took her hand and squeezed it briefly. "It will be fine, I'm sure of it. I am the wise one, after all." She winked.

Cassandra playfully nudged her away, rolling her eyes. "Yeah, because you're so smart!" She replied sarcastically. "Making the best of your juncture, aren't you?"

"Oh, tell me about it! I can't wait until it ends. I feel like a feeble philosopher."

They continued to joke around as they faded out of sight. I sighed out of relief and sped towards the entrance. One of the doors opened a crack the second I approached.

The library was enormous; it was round, similar to the attic, with lengthy bookshelves covering the wall space. Not even the stepstools and ladders were tall enough to reach the top, I was sure of it. Torches ignited throughout. A bronze candlelit chandelier presented itself from the center of the ceiling, reflecting light upon the green marble floors. The door creaked closed as I proceeded down the hall, the sounds of my footsteps echoing across the room. 

I observed a large painting framed on the wall. It was of a man in a red drape suit locking arms with a young man in a light yellow dress. They seemed to be strolling throughout a rose garden, sunlight creeping in above their heads. Beside them was a mossy creek; behind them in the distance were a huddle of rainclouds almost blocking out... what seemed to be Castle Dimitrescu. 

A fly landed on my shoulder, soon after a swarm of flies appeared before me, transforming into the youngest sister. She swung what appeared to be my bag back and forth in one hand, something glimmering in the other. It was my rapier. She trusted the blade towards my throat, tilting her chin up a bit, a smug grin spreading from the side of her mouth. I took a step backward though I was already against the wall.

"You're dead."

I raised my hands slightly, unsure of what to say. "...Uh..."

Daniela pouted, taking the tip of the blade off my neck. "You're very boring, you know that?" She dropped the bag on the floor and walked down one of the many aisles of bookshelves. She blended in with the darkness. I tried my best not to step on her dress.