Chapter 34: Bridge

There was a way she told the story that made the heart in my stomach churn. Zara was dead. There was nothing to do but wait for the next course of action. At least for the daughters. As for me, I only wished to rest. 

"Is there...anything we could do for you, Mother?" Bela asked.

"Secure the walls.", Alcina commanded without a second thought, staring at nothing. "I have no doubt Heisenberg will attempt to attack our home."

Daniela spoke up. "But, Mother, why would he do this?"

"What kind of question is that?" Cassandra spat in an offended manner. "He doesn't need a reason."

"It's just so sudden."

"Underwhelming.", Bela added.

"If you girls insist on playing the role of detective, do it on your own time. For now, go." Alcina said with irritation, making her leave without waiting for an obedient response, which her daughters did anyway. 

Daniela and Cassandra dispersed while Bela stopped in her tracks, glancing at me from her shoulder before turning fully to face me. 

"You should...return to your quarters. Mother would not want her maiden roaming her halls."

I would've questioned the maiden title only I was too tired. I nodded, turning in the direction of my quarters.

"Aria."

I glanced back. "Yeah?"

She took a hesitant pause, balling up her fists. "...Get rest."

I nodded, retreating to my quarters lazily.

I shut the heavy door behind me, knowing it would shut itself on its own, and dragged myself to the bed, shoving my face into the silk sheets, squeezing my eyes shut. I hated myself for not being able to cry, I wanted to but my tear ducts blatantly refused my request. I lazily threw the blankets over my body as Alcina's words echoed in my head. How was she so sure that Zara was dead? Would her body be retrieved? I turned on my side to block out my thoughts, they rang and repeated for an hour. There was nothing to do but sleep. But I couldn't. I was numb, drained, and uncertain. The castle was silent, the rain had abandoned me, stealing away any hope that I would have a relaxed rest and I was restless. I got up and looked out the rain-blurred window. The moon appeared bright and large as always. I closed my eyes and took a breath before exiting the room. 

Strangely, the doors to her quarters were opened by a crack. I peeked inside and was met with darkness. Her bed was empty, not like I had ever seen it occupied. One of the windows was open, allowing an occasional gust of wind to blow over the vanity table, papers floating in the air momentarily before settling back in a disorganized position. I approached the window and rested my arms on the small balustrade, noticing the popularly-used pipe which rested on a silver tray. I put it between my fingers and brought it to my lips, tasting the fresh aroma of natural wood. It was a bit large but I liked the size; it took me a few moments to balance the weight. Everything I had done so far was without thought, I was far too tired to overthink. I allowed the taste to relax my nerves as I allowed myself to stare into nothingness. 

"You continue to not impress me." A familiar voice said.

I turned to see Alcina a few feet before me, the moonlight stretching across her body and pale skin. Then I realized. The wounds across her body were gone as if they never existed.

"Going against my rules despite their simplicity." 

Her voice sounded strained. I silently pitied her and fiddled with the pipe. "You left the door open."