Chapter 15: Damsel In New Clothing

I folded the sleeves of my shirt, looking into the ornate mirror before me. It was a white ruffled blouse with a black ribbon tied and wrapped around the waist to sustain its formal appearance. I didn't hold an exact style for myself, the closest label I could relate to was minimalistic. Though I did keep an open mind for more feminine clothing, just as long as it covered my body, no silly dresses getting in the way of my bustling life. I guess I couldn't really call my life 'bustling' as my family would assume it to be, me being a paranormal investigator and all. No, unfortunately, it was nothing close to the hit blockbuster movies that hanged high on the billboards of Chicago and New York. It wasn't constant action, it was constant waiting. Coffee breaks and surveillance with George, the two of us eating grilled cheese with our legs kicked up, going professional mode every time Riley checked in on us. He would catch us in the act every time, and we'd have to try our best to act offended with his accusations of us goofing on the job. Yep. Ghost hunting consisted largely of playing goldfish with baseball cards, rather than sucking ghosts through proton packs. 

I wondered if the boys have tried contacting me since the stupid argument. Were they even concerned, were they on their way here? I missed them, though I refused to dwell on the matter. I needed to focus and figure out an escape plan. I'm aware of how ridiculous it sounds, but it's not like I would commence the plan any time soon. I needed time. I was the 'pet', right? Maybe now I'd have a better chance at gaining the sisters' trust, the Lady, even. Perhaps not Cassandra, Bela would be quite difficult, and Daniela likes me, doesn't she? She did say that I was different, that was the closest to being a compliment. God knows that this would be an exhausting week for me. 

I smoothed down my pants once more when I heard a knock at the door. 

"My Lady?" A voice called out behind the doors. "I'm here to groom your pet."

"Uh-Come in!" I called back out, placing my hand on my chest, trying to get a feel for the cut. It was small yet stung dramatically. The bleeding must have stalled overnight but that didn't stop it from trailing every few minutes as I got dressed, being careful not to open the wound in the unexpectantly long process. I hoped that it would close entirely before the sisters took a whiff of me, specifically Daniela.

The door gradually opened with a crick, stepping hesitantly inside was a short young girl who looked to be in her early twenties, nineteen perhaps. She had curly blonde hair and a nervous pair of green eyes, shifting to confusion as she noticed me standing in front of the vanity table. She wore a maid uniform and held a leather bag against her chest, presumably to hide her shaking hands. 

"Are you a maid..?" She glanced down at my outfit.

I bit the inside of my cheek. "Kinda, I mean I was but..." 

She furrowed her brows for a moment until a bulb lit in her head. "Oh, you're th-the... pet, aren't you? I-" She cut herself off, a terrified look on her face. "I sh-sh-sh-shouldn't be talking to you. The L-l-lady ga-gave me specific instructions not to-" She struggled to voice her speech, though she wasn't nervous.

"It's just us, though, it's fine."

She looked up at me as if I had three heads. "You may not value your life but I value m-m-mine just as the next sane person! Please just listen so I don't get into trouble, I already nearly lost my head with the deranged sister on the way h-" She clasped her mouth. "She's probably lingering in the air right now, above us! She probably heard me-"

I hurried my palm on her shoulder. "Okay! I won't speak to you. I'll let you do what you were sent here for."

The young maid sighed in relief, placing her hand over her chest. "Thank you!"