Chapter 30: A Bloody Tower Moment

"We've checked everywhere already!" One of Hunter's guys yelled.

"Maybe they're taking a leak." Another one said, though his tone of voice wasn't exactly convincing.

"For twenty minutes, you dumb fuck?!" The first guy replied.

"Can everyone calm down? Let's gather our thoughts then we'll go look for them." Locke said.

"Those weird fuckers in their little houses might have kidnapped them for all we know, Riley." Hunter said.

"You're not helping the situation, Hunter. Grow up, control your guys, and let's look for them." Locke repeated, this time more stern.

"He's right. Let's go." George said.

It was around nine when we began to search for the two men. George ordered us not to split up until we found an area where they could be. It didn't take us long to find the suspected area, as all of the shops and inns of the town were closed. The light of the glancing moon shone upon the side of the castle as the black clouds migrated to the east.

It was understandable that the new investigators were paranoid, but Hunter's skittish behavior made me grow suspicious of him and the legitimacy of his well-established company. But everyone was too on edge for me to wonder about that. We soon neared the castle's exterior walls, where George told us to split up and look for a way inside. I went with Locke and George, Orlin and Michel went off as a pair, while Hunter ordered his guys to stick together as a group of five. "Coward." Michel said, shaking her head before we had split up.

Orlin had been the one who discovered the weak point of the exterior while Hunter's group had been the one who discovered the broken window minutes after ground entry. We all climbed inside.

The daughters had finally dropped Rath on the floor, separating themselves from him altogether. He was close to death, taking in his broken and hitched inhales, the warm air softening the clogged blood in his throat. He laid on his back, sprawled out on the floor, his subconscious listening to the exchange between the daughters and their Mother, the Lady of the castle. 

"Mother, we've brought one of the intruders. The other one has already been dealt with. You only need one to interrogate, after all." Cassandra said, drawing her arms behind her back in a stiff posture.

"Thank you, daughters. Well, let's look at him." Alcina said as she turned around, her recently-smoked pipe in between her bare fingers that were painted black. Her daughters pulled Rath's half-conscious body upon its knees, Cassandra making the generous effort into yanking his head back just for her Mother to see his dead expression. 

"We brought his possessions too, Mother!" Daniela said, offering Rath's camera to the tall woman. It was still recording. 

Alcina observed its sides and screen but held little interest in it, tossing it onto the floor. "Humans and their mediocre technology. Forever believing that they have the self-entitlement of a raptor, stepping into someone's territory with their filth. They're ill-willed and critical, outrageously comparable to lycans. I'm surprised they have names." 

"Indeed, Mother." Bela agreed, posture similar to her sisters.

"Where did you girls dispose of the body?"  

"In the moat."

Alcina turned her stare to Rath, her jaw sharpening in hostility towards the said intruder. "What is your name?"