Chapter 20: Checkmate

I woke up to the Lady's voice, who seemed tensed and aggravated. My hands gripped onto the soft surface I was on, presumably the Lady's bed. 

"I know what the purpose of having a maiden is for, I assure you, Mother Miranda. But you must understand that I have certain questions about-"

There was a long moment of silence, but if I listened close enough I could make out the voice behind the phone. 

"I don't question you nor the operation and you know that." The Lady rushed to say, her voice raising a bit, trying to contain her temper after the final words left her mouth.

I rubbed my eyes and sat up slightly, taking a few seconds for my eyes to adjust to the bright light coming in from several of the windows before taking notice of the Lady at her vanity table, well dressed and put together on the outside. I noticed I was in my outfit again.

The line ended, leaving the Lady to her thoughts. She lit her pipe, taking a broken puff in an attempt to calm her nerves. 

"Are you going to stare at me all day?" 

I was startled at the sudden acknowledgment, rapidly climbing off of the bed in an instance.

"Um- sorry, Mistress."

She stared into the mirror, whether she looking at me or nothing at all, I wasn't sure. 

"Do you need anything, Mistress?" I asked, trying to break the awkward silence.

"You aren't a maid. If I needed anything, I would have a maid here." She stood up. "Nevermind. Come."

Instead of asking where we were going, I followed the Lady without question, not wanting to worsen her mood and repeat what had happened last night. I rubbed my neck as we walked, wincing at the sting. 

We reached the lounge instantly met by the three daughters who were arguing about God knows what. They straightened their posture the moment they laid eyes on their pensive mother.

Bela spoke. "Mother, the Justice Raiders. It was the Justice Raiders who have been smuggling the villagers out. The Lycans had nothing to do with it."

The Lady held her hand up, signaling the eldest daughter into silence.

"I've spoken with Mother Miranda. She has strictly forbidden us from hunting near the center of the Maiden of War, or anywhere within the treeline for that matter."

Confusion spread amongst her daughters' faces, exchanging looks at one another with disbelief.

Cassandra crossed her arms. "All for a couple of mere mortals? Does she not believe that we can put an immediate stop to them, once ordered?" 

"And we can! Just like last time, Mother!" Daniela replied.

Bela started. "Just give us the word and we'll-"

"We are not going against Mother Miranda's orders, daughters. I expect you all to obey without questioning why or how. I presume that this conflict is a lot bigger than what we've anticipated, so I ask you, girls, to never underestimate the foe. They are not just prey, they are our enemy. Treat them as leveled predators, am I clear?"

"Yes, Mother." They responded.

"Good. We will make do with our staff but please don't drain all of them."

"Yeah, Bela." Daniela snorted.

"What?" Bela shot back defensively.

"Now, I must speak with Zara. Where did she wander off to?"