Waking Hours (1.1)

Summary: Dream's not a morning person.

A/N: Welp, here's this nonsense

A short, round-skulled skeleton laid atop a fluffy mattress held by a simple wooden bed frame; eye sockets closed, jaws half-open, yellow sheets kicked to the floor, blue and yellow-starred pajamas wrinkled, and arms curled around the pillow nestl...

A short, round-skulled skeleton laid atop a fluffy mattress held by a simple wooden bed frame; eye sockets closed, jaws half-open, yellow sheets kicked to the floor, blue and yellow-starred pajamas wrinkled, and arms curled around the pillow nestled against his chest. All the while, soft snores escaped him as he slept.

The monster looked like any other Sans to most people when in this vulnerable state. However, his few close friends (and brother) knew that this was how Dream, the Guardian of Positivity, appeared during slumber. Peaceful, undisturbed by the (needy) residents of the Multiverse.

On the nightstand adjacent to his resting place sat three items: a plain desk lamp, a touchscreen cellphone adorned with a yellow case, and a digital clock that read "5:30 a.m." Once the clock struck "5:35 a.m.", a loud jingle began to play while the nearby cellphone's screen lit up with a familiar set of red/green buttons and a phone number. Thus, causing the sleeping skeleton to stir unhappily from his dreams.

"Ugh." Dream groaned, eye sockets squeezing further shut and a frown tugging at the corners of his teeth. A hand slowly released its fluffy captive to thump around on the nightstand in search of ear-grating noise's cause.

The appendage struck empty space several times before he finally cracked his eyes open and used his dull yellow eyelights to survey the surroundings. Shadows encompassed his bedroom, only the tiniest hint of sunlight filtered through the light blue curtains covering the left wall's two windows- making it relatively easy to locate the blinding, bright light found at the ringtone's source.

His phalanges captured the infernal device, promptly drawing it closer to his face. Eye sockets narrowing when its unholy luminescence shone directly in his eyelights. While reading (and rereading) the text, it took his sleep-addled mind an embarrassingly long time to connect the numbers displayed to a name.

Blue?

Dream thought after glancing toward the clock, Why is he calling so early in the morning?