Inky Demon

Summary: The beginning of a love-hate story.

Darkness faded, and stone crumbled around the short skeleton monster it encased, giving way to a world containing sound/light

Dream blinked for the first time in five hundred years. Yet the rest of his body still felt frozen in the pleading, desperate pose he'd taken when reaching out to his hurting brother.

His fuzzy, pale yellow eyelights slowly scanned the area, searching. For his brother, the tree, the village- anything familiar. Anything to quell the rising panic in his soul.

Alas, his blurred vision failed to find a single comfort.

The hill appeared overgrown, judging by various browns and greens, no doubt, caused by vines, grasses, bushes, and oaks reclaiming the land. And the tree he and Nightmare once called "mother" laid nowhere in sight. Either hidden from view or devoured by the moss and fungi native to the foreign woods.

Suddenly, he sensed a hollow presence shift near him and painstakingly turned to look.

Stood beside him was a skeletal figure who bore a similar height to his own and wore warm, brown/light tan tones.

He gazed up, seeing their blurry face wrapped in a halo of the darkening sky's gentle blue and purple hues. A face so similar to his own it couldn't belong to anyone other than-

"Br-" A bone-rattling cough swiftly cut off the word. His throat ached due to years of disuse alongside inadequate hydration, leaving his once cheery voice coarse and wobbly. Regardless, he pushed through the pain to ask in a hopeful tone, "B-brother?"

The skeleton laughed; their voice light and bubbly, entirely different from Nightmare's soft, hesitant (occasionally serious) one.

The Guardian of Positivity blinked in rapid succession, channeling his dwindled magic into his eye sockets and strengthening his eyelights. Soon the scene cleared enough to see the monster's features: the odd, dark splatter stretched across their right cheek as well as their growing smile and strikingly colorful, abnormally shaped eyelights (one a yellow star and the other a red heart). A sign of happiness or other positive feelings if he remembered skeleton biology correctly.

Though, startlingly enough, not a single emotion could be sensed within the being before him.

Dream's stiff teeth tug into a frown, and equally hard to move brows furrow.

Is it possible I lost my powers after the tree... fell?

The troubling thought couldn't be explored further, for the odd skeleton stifled their laughter, exclaiming, "Brother? Heh! I sure hope not! I've been trying to court you for the past one hundred years."

That caused him to pause and stare at the other. "Wh-while I was trapped in stone?"

The stranger shrugged. All the while, their unique eyelights shifted color and shape, almost reminding Dream of that odd substance the villagers claimed changed shade alongside their mood.

"To be fair, I thought you were an exceptionally well-shaped rock monster." They started, continuing with blatant excitement, "But now that I know you're not, we can do so many fun things together like visit AUs, pour glitter in drying cement, paint, or eat tacos in atop a cash register in Walmart and get ban for life. And I can show you my house!"

There hadn't been a chance to react before a hand warped around his wrist and pulled him up, making his bones flaring in pain as he struggled to stand.

"Let's go!" The stranger cried, dragging the yellow-clad guardian down into an inky black puddle.

It was then Dream realized a new, harrowing chapter in his life had begun.