Brand Deal

Summary: Ever wanna buy some Nightmare brand nightmares?

Dream bit back a growl, placing the empty coffee pot back in its place and taking a moment to rub the bleariness from his eyes

Mornings were the worst, especially- "Dad, quit hogging all the cereal!"

"I'm not hogging it!"

"Yes, you are!"

He turned to face his family.

Palette and Ink sat at the table, battling over this week's most popular breakfast food- tugging the box back and forth between them.

Dream moved to put a stop to their nonsense but found himself frozen in shock.

What caught him off guard was the strikingly familiar face plastered on the front of the box.

His brother's face, to be exact.

The Guardian of Positivity snatched the item out of their hands and drew it closer to his eyelights, ignoring the indignant "Hey!" that emanated from both his son and husband.

"Noot Loops. Taste soul-crushing evil in every bite. A free dead newt inside every box- Disclaimer: No newts got harmed during the making of this cereal?" Dream brows furrowed and his voice grew increasingly horrified while he repeated the text on the box's cover. Then he glanced over to the father-son duo. "What is this?"

"Cereal! It's surprisingly good too." Ink answered, making subtle grabby hands for the box.

"Yeah, I can feel my innocence dying with every bite!" Palette chimed, happily scooping another spoonful of the purple skull-shaped pellets in his bowl.

A grimace overtook the yellow-clad skeleton's face. "Okay. That's enough breakfast for you two."

Yellow magic encompassed their dishes and dumped them in the sink.

"Aw, boo! You're no fun." Ink pouted.

The younger artist followed by voicing his own grievances as well. "But my innocence! How will I lose it now?!"

"Yeah, we are definitely not keeping this." He withheld a huff and exited the room; Whining no's escaped the kitchen even as Dream left the house, making his way around to the outdoor rubbish bin.

Once there, he paused then glance over his shoulder toward the front of the house. A hand slowly reached into the box and returned with a piece of cereal.

After all, it would be a waste not to try it.

Right?

Dream popped it in his mouth and blinked, surprised when the flavor hit his invisible tongue. "Huh, apple-flavored?"

Nice to know Nightmare has a sense of humor, at the very least.

He proceeded to lift the bin's lid and hold the box over it.

His eyelight bounced between the two objects- the bin, the box bearing his brother's visage, the bin, then back to his brother's face again.

"Oh, Nighty, I couldn't possibly throw you away!" Dream sobbed, clutching the box to his chest. Bright yellow tears streamed down his flushed cheeks as tiny hiccups escaped his jaws.

The guardian struggled to regain composure for a while. But once he did, he stared into his cardboard brother's eyelight. It held a pleading, almost sorrowful quality to it- despite the trademark manic glint and matching deranged smile to go with it.

Dream sniffed, wiping residual tears from his face and pocketing the cereal in his inventory. "Well, I guess I'll just have to keep you."

Somewhere several AUs away, an ominous chill ran down the spine of a suddenly very nervous, negativity-laden skeleton.