Mother!

Summary: Who said magic trees couldn't be reincarnated?

Cold snow flitted between the two opposing groups stood on opposite sides outside of Snowdin's best and only restaurant, Grillby's

The area held not a sound despite being the small town's most popular hangout, and the road stretching all the way from the Ruin's sealed doorway to Waterfall's entrance was empty. Dull and lifeless.

Like the snowy wonderland had been abandoned.

Or worse.

Hardened, yellow eyelights fixed themselves on the menacing, gooey figure backed by four equally terrifying monsters. Each of them donned a dark, somewhat intimidating expression in return. However, Dream would not back down, for he hoped to bring their years of battle to an end today.

And, no, his plan to achieve that did not include physical harm or entrapment in any way, shape, or form.

Regardless of how much Ink wanted to practice his dungeon-building skills.

The Guardian of Positivity squared his shoulders and straightened his back, head held high. His two (mostly) reliable companions standing next to him; One on each side, weapons (unfortunately) drawn and prepared for combat.

Yellow-gloved phalanges tightened their grip around the two objects in his hands.

The confrontation's key items, so to speak: a plain staff and, arguable the most important, a small, nearly pebble-sized diamond-shaped device. An integral part of Dream's current plan, mainly due to its function.

Again, no, it would not turn his brother - or anyone for that matter - into a child. Despite how much Ink wanted a literal ankle biter or two.

It was a locator specifically crafted to find souls that re-entered the Multiverse's reincarnation cycle. He had asked Sci to make it several months ago in hopes of potentially finding the reincarnation of an extremely important person.

One both he and his brother had known since birth.

Their mother. Who the lighter twin hoped to find for many reasons, but primarily selfish ones.

One, he missed the freedom he used to have when she reigned as the primary keeper of the balance between Positivity and Negativity.

Two, he wholeheartedly believed that if they allowed their mother to once again take over their duties - the ones she so "kindly" forced upon them - then maybe he and Nightmare could stop fighting; be brothers again.

The question was: How did he convey as much to his brother?

The last thing he wanted Nightmare to think was that he intended to go through with Ink's idiotic plan to transform him into a literal octopus, cage him, and poke him with a stick. Or any of the artist's other rejected ideas (imprisonment, de-aging, animal transformation, balloon animal therapy, making him glow-in-the-dark [an odd idea no one really understood the purpose of], etc.).