A Little Death Scare (1)

Summary: Reaper's followers take things the tiniest bit too far, leaving him in a very interesting situation.

(Warning: This chapter contains mild swearing, blood, and injury.)

Dark storm clouds that stretched far beyond the horizon tainted the blue sky, threatening to soak the mortal lands below

Dark storm clouds that stretched far beyond the horizon tainted the blue sky, threatening to soak the mortal lands below. Thunder roared. Lightning crashed, striking the earth with the anger of the gods. Shrubs, grasses, and flowers were whipped around by fierce gales, which periodically swept across the land; trees strained to keep their trunks from bending beneath the force. Local wildlife scoured every place imaginable for suitable shelter- from the dumpsters in alleyways to the chambers of old abandoned buildings. Some dared to burrow into the earth while others sought unoccupied caves/tree hollows. Anywhere dry and protected was fair game. Humans similarly hid in towering skyscrapers and small houses, fearing the destruction the weather was bound to create. However, the streets were not as empty as one would imagine. 

A tiny figure - small enough that one might mistake them for a doll - dashed down the deserted roads, moving under as many slightly elevated obstacles (cars, benches, postboxes, etc.) as possible. Weaving and slipping into hard to reach places, they ran without pause while desperately seeking out a hiding place. Unfortunately, the stretches of open space made it near impossible to vanish from searching eyes. And, though the being appeared to be no more than a black blob due to the dark cloak shrouding them, it provided very little camouflage. 

He, Reaper, the embodiment of mortality and decay, feared for his life and wanted to put some distance between himself and those responsible for the current situation. The rumble of their gait pounded in his invisible eardrums. His bare feet hammered against concrete, shooting discomfort through each tibia/fibula with every step. Rough asphalt scrapped his poor metatarsals and phalanges. The death god would not be surprised if deep red marrow was leaking from the shallow cuts and sores. Regardless, he continued onward. The pain his wounds caused him seemed like a small price to pay for freedom. 

As he traversed the open space, his eyes locked onto the next thing that he could hide under and shifted his course to that direction. The target was a car. Small, dull red, and lived to see more crashes than necessary, judging by the numerous dents and scratches it bore. It would not provide cover for long, yet Reaper still aimed for its inviting shadows. He intended to escape the greedy eyes tracking his every move. Even if for a mere few seconds. While running, a heavy pressure sunk into the cloaked skeleton's bones, making a few joints stiff and difficult to move. Something in the air stirred. Howls ripped through the air as the winds began to rush across the land, slowly building in speed with each passing moment. The soft scent of sky-bound water tickled his nasal cavity. Rain- It would start raining soon. He could feel it in his bones.