Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Summary: Nightmare and Dream have an epic battle.

It was the showdown of the century: Two skeletons, their lethal followers/teammates, and some

It was the showdown of the century: Two skeletons, their lethal followers/teammates, and some... branches? Neither Dust, Horror, Killer, Cross, Blue, nor Ink knew what to make of the addition to their battle; It made no sense how the fight devolved into this odd mess.

Everything started in the usual fashion: Nightmare and his gang spreading negativity and causing chaos - more or less being the evildoers that they were - and the AU protectors arriving to stop them. Dream drew his bow and shot a barrage of light arrows at the bunch while Ink painted the battlefield. Meanwhile, Blue and Dust entered a deadly tango consisting of dodging, slashing, and blocking.

Sometime after the first twenty minutes of fighting, the Guardian of Positivity abandoned his weapon in favor of a fallen, leafy tree branch; Nightmare followed suite. Now the six skeletons were forced to watch as the two brothers waved the leaf-covered limbs in each other's general direction. The Lord of Darkness swung his branch with aggression and force. Dream moved his more gently, with grace and care. They did that for a while before the positive twin gasped and cried, "You dare speak of our mother with those leaves?!"

Nightmare's branch rustled as if to answer the question. Then Dream dropped everything and fled, crying inconsolably. 

Ink glanced at a smug-looking Nightmare and the direction his comrade ran in. "What just happened?"

Silently, everyone else wondered the same thing.